Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
billwinkle

slave drive on primary ide wont show.

A little help please. I just ugraded my motherboard and now when it boots into windows xp pro, more than half the time the slave drive on the primary ide does not show up. If I reboot enough times it finally will be there. BIOS shows it being there all the time. Here are the specs.

msi kt3v motherboard.

athlon 2100xp

wd 80gig spec ed hd. primary

wd 40gig 2meg hd slave.

lite on 48x burner master 2nd ide

creative dvd rom slave

2 512 meg crucial pc2700 memory

431w power supply

geforce3 video.

soundblaster live value card.

nic

windows xp pro sp1

I have tested the drive and it is fine. I did not have the problem with my old msi kt133 board. Any ideas?????? frown

please check/do the following:

- ide cables

- bent pins

- BIOS settings

- scandisk

- run WD diagnostic software

also check case for proper ventilation, cuz too much heat will affect hd operation

Some bios have an option to set a delay for the IDE initialization. If your bios has this feature try setting it to something like 4-6 seconds and see if the problem goes away.

Jim

Quote:
Some bios have an option to set a delay for the IDE initialization. If your bios has this feature try setting it to something like 4-6 seconds and see if the problem goes away.

Good thinking, I remember having to do that with some older drives that take a while to spin up.

thanks for the tips guys. bios does not have the ide delay option. Last 3 boots have gone ok. maybe loose power connector, not sure. Just chalk it up to the mysterious upgrade faries. laugh

I let you know if i find anything more concrete. thanks again.

Quote:
A little help please. I just ugraded my motherboard and now when it boots into windows xp pro, more than half the time the slave drive on the primary ide does not show up. If I reboot enough times it finally will be there. BIOS shows it being there all the time. Here are the specs.
msi kt3v motherboard.
athlon 2100xp
wd 80gig spec ed hd. primary
wd 40gig 2meg hd slave.
lite on 48x burner master 2nd ide
creative dvd rom slave
2 512 meg crucial pc2700 memory
431w power supply
geforce3 video.
soundblaster live value card.
nic
windows xp pro sp1

I have tested the drive and it is fine. I did not have the problem with my old msi kt133 board. Any ideas?????? frown

you have to set the jumpers on the primary master WD hdd to Master w/ Slave. WD Hdd's have always had that problem. it may occassionally give you boot failiar too.

Thats the first thing i checked. As a matter of fact everything stayed the same when I changed out the motherboard. Im still leaning toward a loose connector plug as tonight had same prob, changed connector, then drive showed up again. I will see if that fixes it. Damn 14 hour work days dont leave much time for diag.