Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
robfisher

USB on WIN NT 4.0

So, Microsoft says they don't support USB on Windows NT 4.0. My question is, can it be done? What I want to do is, use a Linksys USB network adapter on a machine running Windows NT 4.0. Are there any universial USB drivers out there for Windows NT 4.0? Do they work? PCI would be so much easier, but, I can't open the machine, and I have to stick with NT 4.0.

Yes it can be done. If you look on the internet you can find some links to files that will add the USB support to NT. I have one that we had used at work but now if a machine needs USB and and has high enough specs we just upgrade it to W2k. Be aware that you will probably only be able to find support for USB 1 only.

Quote:
PCI would be so much easier, but, I can't open the machine, and I have to stick with NT 4.0.

Is there a lock on there? If not, PCI would be the way to go. Just borrow a screwdriver to get it open. Rest your wrists upon the bare metal of the case while you put in the card to prevent electrostatic damage. If there's a lock on there, there may be some USB drivers you can find. I'm planning on getting a portable MP3 player, but I want to keep NT4 on my machine, so I'm very much in the same boat.

Update: July 2007

Get i4usb406.exe from ftp1.digi.com/support/driver

Driver version 4.06 March 2006.