Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lotus

What software do you use for Mp3/Wav playback?

I currently use Winamp3 but I'm looking for another choice. What do you use?

Quote:
I currently use Winamp3 but I'm looking for another choice. What do you use?

Theres a new winamp 2.9x (dont remember exact version) that's excellent. I have heard they are going to completely ditch winamp3 and go on to the next version (winamp6?) since winamp3 failed on so many levels.

2+3=5

Although...

2.9+3=5.9 Could be ver 6. Hmmmm....

Either way 5 or 6, there'll be only one Winamp!

anyone that doesnt use Winamp 2.xx is retarded... well thats my opinion. laugh Winamp 2.xx is the MOST HIGHLY support audio playback application on this planet. I mean you could always go with the WM9 series, and having used WMP 9 its not that bad but its still an MS product.

I like Winamp 3 because of a few of the playlist features (multiple playlists, enqueue without moving the tracks around) and free form skinning. There are some really cool winamp3 skins out there.

So i use 2.9 and Winamp3 smile

Winamp 2.x for mp3 becauese winamp 3 broke all the 2.x plugins...

WMP 6.4 for wavs.

Quote:
anyone that doesnt use Winamp 2.xx is retarded

I've found that out of all the MP3 players Winamp 2.x has by far the worst audio quality. It also has low CPU usage but the quatity is shocking. For WMAs and MP3s I use WMP9. Easily the best sound quality but it does use more resources than Winamp. On top of that WMP9 has great playlist features and media organising features.

WinAmp 3 has better audio quality than 2.x but it takes forever to load and the interface is so slow (even on modern systems). WMP 6.4 is still a very good player in terms of sound quality but it lacks playlist features.

P.S. I do like the like the fact Winamp 2.x can play a locked file (good for trying files that are being downloaded :P)

Quote:
xmms = winamp wannabem but why the hell can't you use winamp skins?

I like winamp better though.

I don't know about you, but I got all my (and I mean MY smile ) winamp skins working with xmms.. without any throuble..

Quote:

Choking.. au hem, excuse me? Winamp skins not working on Xmms? are you sure you meant what you just said? nebulus is absolutely right. Never had a single problem with Winamp skins on Xmms, or do you mean Winamp 3 skins? I think Winamp 3 sux to begin with, let laone the winamp 3 skins!!!

I use xmms 90% of the time (when running Linux) and Winamp 2.8.x whenever in Windows.

Quote:

Theres a new winamp 2.9x (dont remember exact version) that's excellent. I have heard they are going to completely ditch winamp3 and go on to the next version (winamp6?) since winamp3 failed on so many levels.

Really? I think that would be wise, and I do agree, Winamp 3 did not deliver what it promised and crashed waaaaay too often frown

Quote:
Quote:

Choking.. au hem, excuse me? Winamp skins not working on Xmms? are you sure you meant what you just said? nebulus is absolutely right. Never had a single problem with Winamp skins on Xmms, or do you mean Winamp 3 skins? I think Winamp 3 sux to begin with, let laone the winamp 3 skins!!!

I use xmms 90% of the time (when running Linux) and Winamp 2.8.x whenever in Windows.

Hmmm... The version that I last used was several years old. At that time, I could find nobody that could do it. I guess that is fixed by now. Good to hear. I put a newer distro on my system a few months ago but havn't had too much time to mess with it. Not sure if I even set up the sound now that I think about it.

I use MMJ... but the latest version has a huge footprint, 25 megs. Thats alot for playing MP3's and whatever. I paid for the premium version of musicmatch, so I use it even with the memory hogging.

i use winamp 2.9x, as winamp 3.0 need more resources.

winamp 3.0 has nice interface, but after starting a song, who looks on its interface ?? me no... i keep it playing hidden in taskbar.

WMP 9.0 has nice interface, but same problem as winamp 3.0, much resources and interface not needed always... ;(

Quote:
I use MMJ... but the latest version has a huge footprint, 25 megs. Thats alot for playing MP3's and whatever. I paid for the premium version of musicmatch, so I use it even with the memory hogging.

I despise it. I use it for ripping and but no playing. I do use it for syncing up my ipod though. It has a habit of chopping off letters at the end of mp3 tags. Hopefully when I finally get the new version downloaded, this won't be an issue. I just have to go though my 2000 mp3s and replace the ones with bad tags. As I said, I despise it. I do like the "tag from filename" feature enough to keep it on my system. I had a command line app I wrote for that but it wasn't as full featured. I am planning on creating another one when I get some free time.

Quote:
I despise it. I use it for ripping and but no playing. I do use it for syncing up my ipod though. It has a habit of chopping off letters at the end of mp3 tags. Hopefully when I finally get the new version downloaded, this won't be an issue. I just have to go though my 2000 mp3s and replace the ones with bad tags. As I said, I despise it. I do like the "tag from filename" feature enough to keep it on my system. I had a command line app I wrote for that but it wasn't as full featured. I am planning on creating another one when I get some free time.

I've been there, I know it's a pain. I used Tag&Rename to recreate the ID3 tags automatically though. You might want to look into that.

Quote:
Quote:

I've been there, I know it's a pain. I used Tag&Rename to recreate the ID3 tags automatically though. You might want to look into that.

Will do. Musicmatch also has that feature where you can select a group of files and it will try to pull up tag info based on filenames and partial tags. That is also pretty cool.

shassouneh

, check out the MMD 3 skin, it just kicks arss! for winamp 3

as for who ever said that if your not using winamp2.x your a dunce, then yeah i will join the crowd, frankly i find that a rather lame post to call people intellectually challenged simply because they like something that others may not.

Quote:
shassouneh
, check out the MMD 3 skin, it just kicks arss! for winamp 3

as for who ever said that if your not using winamp2.x your a dunce, then yeah i will join the crowd, frankly i find that a rather lame post to call people intellectually challenged simply because they like something that others may not.

Yeah, arrogance is as rampant as ignorance on the net.

"Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill them"

"God must love stupid people, he made so many other them!"

laugh

Quote:
To each his own, heck... I'm the oddball in this thread that uses his OWN software for this stuff for Pete's sake, I must deserve to die or something! apk

Is your software based on the Directshow filter thats used by Windows Media Player?