Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ranulf

160GB hard drive format prob. in 2k

Recently picked up a Maxtor 160GB drive but 2k only sees 131GB on install since Im using a service pack 2 disk. I've upgraded to SP3 now so is there a way I can get my "lost" 30gb or so recognized? Or am I going to have to figure out how to burn a new 2k install disc with sp3 streamlined in?

TIA

I'm pretty sure I read about a ~130gig limit in some BIOSs in regards to hard drive size. Maybe that's coming into play here.

Yeah, I should have mentioned my specs in my original post. I fairly sure its not a mobo issue as the bios detects the full drive just fine and apparently it is an issue in win2k up to SP3. Im running an Abit NF7S nforce2 mobo with the latest bios. Guess I may just look into making a copy of my win2k disc with sp3 streamlined in..and reinstalling..sigh.

You can always try to resize the partition using Partition Magic or another similar program.

Quote:
You can always try to resize the partition using Partition Magic or another similar program.

Thats what you have to do. Just make two partitions.

Or buy a promise ultra 100 TX2, or promise ultra 133 TX 2 IDE controller.

Actually, it came with a controller card laugh . My board supports the higher sizes tho, just not win2k sp2.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions etc. I got it working via the reg. hack after up[censored] to sp3. Turns out I entered the value key wrong in hex the first time but it shows up as a 152GB drive in windows and PM now. Just have to resize it etc.