Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tomay

NT4 OR W2000 Wich is better?

My friend who has a photo studio got a new machine for developing films. The machine is from fuji with W2000 no problems here.

With the machine he bought an IBM dual P!!! 256Ram SCSI HDD, SCSI CDrom, SCSI CDRW, SCSI smatr compact flash... media reader, ....

and some other stuff. This machine will be used for Photoshop7, scaning, reading digital media, maybe soem internet.

but mostley for image manipulation. with PS7.

The machine has a serial number sticker from Micro$oft on it with two serial numbers: one for windows2000, and one for windows NT4.

Installed on the machine came NT4. Can I or may I switch to windows 2000? I only have some kind of recovery cd, not the full installation one.

Would it be better to use windows2000 instead of NT4 in terms of stability usability ...

I you ask me NT4 seem to me kinda old, and they certanly look so. smile

What do you think?

Quote:
Would it be better to use windows2000 instead of NT4 in terms of stability usability ...

Definitely.

Edit: I misread part of it.

Yes, we have dual-licence machines at work too - you can run either NT or 2k (but obviously not both) without having to get an additional licence.

Rgds

AndyF

Since some of the imaging tools (media reader, scanner, etc) may use USB, Windows 2000 would really be the only option.

For now everything on this machine is scsi, but I don't know how long will it stay that way. ;(

I would definitely go for Win2k - bear in mind that Microsoft are pulling mainstream support for NT from the end of the year, and there has already been one case where MS have said they won't be patching NT for a particular problem. Also in terms of driver upgrades, your more likely to get recent drivers for 2k than you are for NT.

Rgds

AndyF

2000 is better.

as NT's latest SP is 6a, and after it there are 100's of patches smile

2000 + SP3 (SP4 soon) is the best..

Dood W2k wins hands down NT4 is old crap and as stable as a jello.

may NT4 rot in pieces hehehe did you know it doesnt know what plug and play is :| never mind USB.

Its that cack that even if you install an external modem via a com port you have to restart NT4 after installing it.... WTF!

I know because i still provide support for two NT4 servers and 10 NT4 WS clients (die ye bassas) all rest of my domain at work is W2k including PDC and PBC, nt4s are print and AV servers.

:x

i still use and like NT4(on a daily basis), you have to remember it was competing with win95 and OS2.. and on the server front there really was nothing comparable for light servers. Clearly better at the time. But win2k is a definate upgrade... for multimedia usage, I cannot even begin to fathom doing it on winNT4... win2k would ujst be much better for your purposes.

btw, my winNT server is heading closer and closer to 1 year of uptime, so I don't think that there are any instabilities once you get sp3 or higher on winNT4.

yer dood i agree with what your saying. NT4 Server was the best at the time.

I work with nt4 on a daily basis alongside W2k servers and as a file server or print server its just about bearable. but multimedia just aint possible. For one it doesnt know what all the addons for latest directx are let alone plug and play.

The question he posted asked which one would be best and W2k server or w2k still wins in my book nt4 should be retired gracefully its well past its sell by date. Besides MS have now stated that post sp6a patches will not be followed up so thats it basically dead due to worms and trojans and such like.

may you rest in peace old os