Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arthro Enas

CPU Temp.

This might be a stupid question to a lot of people laugh

I don't OC my system and I am sick of noise so I disable all the case fans, the fans that are running are the CPU fan, the 2 fans on the PSU. That's all.

My system spec.

AMD XP 2000+

768Mb DDR 2100

Gainward Nvidia 4200 128Mb

350W PSU

GlobalWin CAK38 with 1x 60mm 3000rpm fan + 1x 80mm 3000rpm fan (I managed to bridge them together using the 60mm to 80mm adaptor.

I think I can omit other components wink

Using my Abit winbond hardware doctor, the CPU temp. is approx. 50C and 55C after a few rounds of games. (case temp. maintain @ 31C), room temp. 24C

The system is very quiet.. and I like it very much smile

I understand the temp. should be as low as possible, but under normal condition, is this ok?

thanks for all your feedback... appreciated.

Just so you 'll know, NEVER UNPLUG YOUR FANS!!!! It can only hurt you unless you are running some sort of liquid cooling system with them, unless you want a fifty pound paper wait. hehehe

frown

It is a tad on the high side, but not high enough to cause a major panic. But it also depends on how accurate the reading is.

It's not unheard of for the thermistors to be out by 10&c!

You could always run your case fans at 7v instead of 12v. You get less airflow, but significantly less noise.

Is your PSU in such a place that is sucks up heat from the CPU and exhausts it out the back? If not, it might be worth having a rear exhaust fan running at 7v, and that should help to bring the temps down a little.

Quote:
It is a tad on the high side, but not high enough to cause a major panic. But it also depends on how accurate the reading is.

It's not unheard of for the thermistors to be out by 10&c!

You could always run your case fans at 7v instead of 12v. You get less airflow, but significantly less noise.

Is your PSU in such a place that is sucks up heat from the CPU and exhausts it out the back? If not, it might be worth having a rear exhaust fan running at 7v, and that should help to bring the temps down a little.

Hi Bursar,
Well, the PSU fan is just beside the CPU and it sucks the air out through the PSU.

Could you please tell me how to wire the wiring to give 7v? Can a 120mm fan running at 7v? Thanks.

The 7v trick is dead easy.

Your fan will have 2 wires on it, a red and a black. When it's plugged into your PSU, the red fan wire connects with the yellow PSU wire, and the black fan wire meets the black PSU wire.

All you need to do i move the black fan wire so it connects with the red wire on the PSU side.

The fan will then be running at 7v smile

Thanks Bursar... how about 5v then? Is it possible to run the fan @ 5v? and how would the wiring be for 5v?

50! and 55 after load - that is high! for a non over clocked chip.

i over clock my 2.4 to 3.1 - my max temp UNDERLOAD is 57 - this has a cheap fan - but i got a few case fans. and this is after running SETI@HOME for 10 hours or more.

plug in those case fans OR go buy some quieter fans, you can fry your system if u don't keep it cool enough! and i think most people can learn to deal with @ least 1 case fan rather then spend a few $1000 to buy a new system..lol

it is not worth the risk.

Quote:
Thanks Bursar... how about 5v then? Is it possible to run the fan @ 5v? and how would the wiring be for 5v?

It is possible. Just run the red wire on the fan to the red wire on the molex, and the black wire from the fan to the black wire on the molex that is next to the red one.

However, it's possible that 5v won't be enough to start the fans, and they'll sit there jittering.

If you give them a spin by hand to get them going, they should keep turning, but that's hardly practical.

If you want to run them that low, your best bet is a baybus so you can switch between voltages. That way you can apply 12v to the fans to make sure they all start, and then turn them down to 5v.

I would say that temp is ok, my 1800+ used to go about 60C after games and it was sturdy, no crashes,etc and its still alive now kicking in my mams PC. I would say leave at that if you dont want noise. I was sick of noise and temps of 50C+ on my P4 that i spent about £260 on my watercooling setup and now get 40C max with my GF4 and Mobo on the same line as the CPU and its really quiet, especially after that GF4 fan came off. Anyway i would leave it nice and quiet mate

My 1800+ on a stock AMD fan never got hotter than 51 degrees, and you're running a 2000+ at 55 with a brand name fan? that's BAD! Highly highly hot for a brand name fan and no OC. Put those fans back in.

With my new Vantec Aeroflow VA4-C7040, my temperature with Windows and UD Cancer Agent running is 35 degrees MAX, it hasn't got hotter than that.

So I suggest you invest in some better cooling, because in the longer run, 55 degrees will kill that cpu and/or the motherboard