Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kjaz

Help!!!!!

I attempted to download a service pack for Windows XP last night, spent 2 hours waiting for everything to download, and everything to get checked, only to get a message in the end that the download failed. I had gotten a message that a catalog file was unable to be downloaded.

Can anyone help? I posted yesterday about how slow and ineffectively my windows updates were being installed. I would welcome any help any of you can offer. I have the Windows XP home edition. frown

No Karen, It doesnt have anything to do with using XP Home edition. Hopefully the full installation of SP1 will correct any issues that you may have.

Go to MS Downloads and use a download manager like getright (or something like that) and get the 113MB for network administrators. you can burn it to a CD and keep it if you like.

It sounds like MS is really taking care of their customers in UK. In Canada you have to pay top dollar if you want them to do anything. Just calling them will cost you $270 USD. They never give out anything for free.

They put WXP SP1 CD on the cover of a magazine!?!?!?! laugh

I may actually consider moving to UK!! laugh

Ali, I don't want to rub it in but.....they do put SP1 on magazine covers over here too (Australia). Must be some UK/Australia thing (these are independant Australia magazines...not imported from UK).

The free CD's from MS UK are great.

I just went online and ordered XP SP1 & Office XP SP2.

Both arrived to me in around five days and didn't cost me a single penny, not even for postage (to be honest I would have been happy to pay £2 postage etc).

It's worth grabbing them even if you've already downloaded them - you can then keep them on a "professional" CD that is less likely to get scratched etc.

Any UK people who are interested, follow the link posted above.

Jesus Christ!!!, in this "little piece" of country where i live in, the magazines only brings CD's with winzip and some games demo. It suxxx!! ;(

canadian publications are so cheap that they never include anything on the cover. :x (Except these stupid AOL internet access trials that are a true rip off!! ;( )

on the other hand many people have High-speed internet (for about $40CAD/Month) may be nobody never asked for them in north america.

Quote:
Jesus Christ!!!, in this "little piece" of country where i live in, the magazines only brings CD's with winzip and some games demo. It suxxx!! ;(

Here you have to download the demo versions as well. if you call them and tell them you want the trial CD they may show you the finger!
they do anything to make you pay for the service. everything is about money here. (absolutely everything is about money)

Blimey.

Your average UK Publication will have plenty of stuff on the cover CD.

Very rarely do you buy one without the latest Win2k & WinXP SP's.

They usually have the Office SP's as well.

Game demo's, trial versions of full software and full versions of slightly older versions (no longer released) of software.

The CD's are well worth keeping over here.

Quote:
Blimey.
Your average UK Publication will have plenty of stuff on the cover CD.
Very rarely do you buy one without the latest Win2k & WinXP SP's.
They usually have the Office SP's as well.
Game demo's, trial versions of full software and full versions of slightly older versions (no longer released) of software.
The CD's are well worth keeping over here.

And I keep complaining!!!. Damn it, i wanna go UK!!! laugh

It's the same in Australia.

Australian Personal Computer magazine generally has 2 or 3 CDs loaded with Patches, Demos, Free software for Windows, Linux, Palm & occasionally even OS/2. Also Virus definitions & updates and heaps of programming tools, scripts etc.

The magazine costs about $AU7.50 (haven't bought in a while - swipe work copy) but it could have gone up.

PC User magazine also gives a good slice of digital data.

frown Me wants some good magazines frown

in Toronto I have never seen a good computer exhibition. there is a computer fest every 6 months but that is for small companies to get rid of their old stuff and books. unfortunately in norht america they try to limit an average person's knowledge so they won't complain to govenment about anything. the media and everything else focuses on useless stuff so people could just work like a horse during the week, party like a meniak on weekends and pay all the money they make to the government and thoese who controll things around here.

too bad i'm stock in here untill i finish school. someday i'll leave this country to find out how the rest of the world is.

Right on Felix, apart from the great Australian PC User magazine, another good one is Australian PC World, they are always trying to get 'one up' on the other magazine by out doing each other with 'full software programs'...usually the previous versions....like a few months ago I got Full Motion Edit Studio for free...being the previous version).

I've got most of the cd from the past 2 years...never throw them out, they seem to come in handy now & then....but like you I've not had to even buy one recently, just burn the works copy crazy