Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jeff*

Word causing computer to.. shut down?

hah, my girlfriend is having a peculiar problem when she runs microsoft word (XP)

Her current system:

ECS K7S5A (revision II)

AthlonXP 1700

256 SDRAM

WinXP Home

Well, it seems that sometime during her computer usage (whenever word is running--whether it be infocus or even minimized) her computer will shut down (not a proper shut down, just a power off).

My friend's girlfriend has been having problems with her K7S5A and powering off as well.. maybe this is a common issue?

Has anyone else had this problem before?

we had a similar problem at work with computers running completely different configurations. try disabling or deinstalling the office assistant.

no guarantees but it worked for us.

I used to have a problem just like that, but the source of the problem was the BIOS setup. I had enabled the computer to be turned on by pressing either any key or either mouse button, but my computer kept turning off without explanation. Finally, I went into my BIOS setup and disabled this feature, so that now only the power button in the front can turn the computer on or off. Problem solved! laugh

Another thing to do is check the heatsink, and the thermal goo - some goos dry out over time and need replacing - it may be that the CPU is overheating and the mobo is shutting down to prevent damage. Check in the BIOS to see what the shutdown temp is.

Just a thought

Rgds

AndyF