Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dergam

KazaaLite & IE problem

After installing KazaaLite and a bunch of the utilities that now come with it under XP, IE now prompts me for a username and password for ANY ad on a site that doesn't originate within the site (i.e. it is from ads.doubleclick.net). I have to click cancel for each ad, and each time I load a page. It gets quite annoying quite quickly. It seems like a IE security issue, but after changing almost every single option in IE, I still haven't found anything that eliminates it. Uninstalling KazaaLite doesn't change anything either, even when I pick the option to delete registry keys.

I have IE version 6.0.2800.(lots of other numbers) and the newest version of KazaaLite

Any help is appreciated

Are you running any type of web server? And did you install the Kazaa Lite hosts file?

When you replace your hosts file, there are entries that point all of those ad and banner sites to 127.0.0.1 (localhost), so if you're running a web server, IE is trying to connect to it. If you're running a server, you may want to down it while you're surfing, or change its port.

I'll try ad aware. I'm not running a web server, but I think I did install the hosts file. I've done that before though, with no problems.

Just on a whim, I checked to see if I was running a web server, and it turns out I was. Strange, as I don't remember enabling it, and it was pointing to an empty directory.

Thanks for the help - it solved the problem.

I seem to be having the same problem. However, I don't know how to check if I am running a web server or not, and even if I did, I wouldn't know what it "points" to, or even how to find out.

Any help anyone could offer on this would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone has this problem in the future, I got my PC working again after doing a system restore.

Hi Gang,

I strongly reccommend eMule over any other file sharing tool. Give it a try. It's free, open-source, user-friendly, has 2.5 million users, and no adware! It even has download scheduling so you can cap your download bandwidth during the daytime and let it run wild at night.

HTTP://emule-project.org

Cheers,

Christian Blackburn