Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NTGAMEMAN

Windows 2003 Server and Games

I guess it's as safe as any other pre-release version of Windows. You'll need to enable a bunch of things that are disabled by default, especially if you want to play games.

Jim

It wont be worth the hassle probably. With nothing to gain over XP I wouldnt bother. But its your computer! smile

vampy

why??? Why do people insist on using server OSs for gaming. Its like me saying yeah you know this Sun SPARC station would make a great box for Q3a.

Im not trying to bash on anyone but i mean, why spend ALL the time editing the OS to dumb it down from a server OS to a workstation OS, when you can just get the workstation OS.

IMO, server OSs needed to stay that way. Though everyone is entitled to do what they want, so if you want to spend 15-20 minutes or more after install to enable and disable things go right ahead. I will just install my nForce and ATi drivers and get on with my gaming!!

Well if your studying for MCSE, performing network testing at home for work, developing applications for server software, familiarizing yourself with the software. These are all valid reasons for why someone would want to "game" in a server OS. Why reboot to a Workstation OS when you don't have to?

I would say depending on how you use your computer converting a Server OS for Workstation Gaming would in some ways be just as easy to get your Workstation OS into a gaming state. We all have different requirements for how we use our computers.

Quote:
Well if your studying for MCSE, performing network testing at home for work, developing applications for server software, familiarizing yourself with the software. These are all valid reasons for why someone would want to "game" in a server OS. Why reboot to a Workstation OS when you don't have to?

I would say depending on how you use your computer converting a Server OS for Workstation Gaming would in some ways be just as easy to get your Workstation OS into a gaming state. We all have different requirements for how we use our computers.

yes good point - but likely by the words of this post, this person is not part of the MS beta testing winkwinkwink if u know what i mean - otherwise they would know if it can be used and what ever.

a good chance, and please correct me if i am wrong, but they likely download it froma source that claimed it was the final server 2003 - funny, since it is not even out yet. (rc2 i beleive?)

Quote:
yes good point - but likely by the words of this post, this person is not part of the MS beta testing winkwinkwink if u know what i mean - otherwise they would know if it can be used and what ever.

a good chance, and please correct me if i am wrong, but they likely download it froma source that claimed it was the final server 2003 - funny, since it is not even out yet. (rc2 i beleive?)

Agreed. While I was not in the technicial beta of WS2003, I was in the CPP (which was completely FREE and OPEN TO ALL) and in the newsgroups, there were constant posts similar to the original, and there are several unoffical FAQs floating around on what services to enable, etc. to play games, get themes, have sound. As a member of the CPP, I had access to RC1 and RC2 ONLY. Also, the 'gold' code was released on Friday to MSDN as a trial/evaluation version. I suspect that will be the exact same copy distribuited at the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Launch Events coming next month. You all did sign up for that, right? Free all-day seminar, free eval copies of Windows Server 2003, Visual Studio .NET 2003, too.

For the same reason people used to post "Gaming on Win2k Advanced Server" threads.

If somebody is going to download something they shouldn't rather than just ripping off a workstation OS they go and rip-off a massive server one instead.

Quote:
For the same reason people used to post "Gaming on Win2k Advanced Server" threads.
If somebody is going to download something they shouldn't rather than just ripping off a workstation OS they go and rip-off a massive server one instead.

and the funny part is, you could of downloaded it for free anyways!! well, upto RC2.

but yeah, if your gonna go, go big!

Go for it! Now on my computer is way faster then XP. To buy it for a gaming pc would be stupid. As for games running test it for your self, so far I have read about alot of games not running yet the ONLY one that quits is FOR ME is Vietcong, which runs fine just quits about 20min in the game. Like BF, I just play it and it played fine. Me I got WinNet free.

This reminds me of the argument when windows 2000 came out and everybody was saying "Its a business os" and why would you want it for gaming. Even worse were gaming companies who wouldnt provide very simple patches to allow their game to work in win2k... Saying "business os". Of course its totally different though. 9x is different technology... nt owns 9x. And... the funny thing is... I bet most people didnt realize that xp was based on the same core. And still think xp is different somehow then win2k.. lol.

Btw. Windows 2003 is a freakin spectacular workstation. I dont care if its a server. All you have to do is turn on a couple of things that were left off by default. I dont think its the same as xp at all its 10 times better in speed and stability. Games work. The thing is sound, hardware acceleration and a few other things are left off by default. Im hard on my pc's... I need to install tons of things for testing. vmware, development software, crappy shareware... And of course... games. Because im a gamer. So far I love win2k3. Its the shit.

Then again people people also use it just because they have pirated it and want the "best version" of it... Like downloading win2k advanced server instead of win2k proffesional.. I agree that this is silly... If you arent using it for studying mcse or development or something and just want to play games. But that is not applicable here because the workstation version of this os was released awhile ago (windows xp) and they are different... ive tried them both and win2k3 kicks xp's ass as a workstation ( IMHO smile ). There is no comparison.

There is a reason they make a Server O/S and a Desktop O/S and a WorkStation O/S - as each is ment specifically for a certain task - simply as that - otherwise they would make one flavour of windows that included everything and that would be the end of it.

a Server O/S is meant to be used a a Server O/S - not a gaming O/S. even if you are a tester - MS does not care what else you use your system for - they want you to test the O/S in a Server environment, not a gamers one smile

As late as it is in this post, Windows 2003 actually runs games better than Windows XP, and infact, it gets higher 3d and pc marks, as well as higher stability and speed.

Only bad thing is, no drivers out yet.

But the difference in performance is close to 1%, not worth it.

Stick with XP.