Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gilgamesh

Help with power problem...

I have a problem. My problem is that my computer sporadically not turn on. What I mean by not turn on is it does nothing, no power supply fan or anything. Other times it comes on fine without a hitch. When it is the case that it seems dead, i unplug the cord from the wall and plug it back in to see if that works. If that doesn't work I unplug the power cable from the case and then plug it back in. By this time it usually comes on with the next press of the power button. When i finally get it on, it runs fine for the duration of it being on which can be as long as a week. I have determined it isnt a faulty power cord becuase I have switched it and it still does that same thing. I have checked all things inside the case as well. Could this stem from a faulty power supply with a short in it or something? Thanks for any help.

-gilgamesh

How powerfull is the PSU? It should be at least 300W for your configuration. Had similar problem on a athlon system with a cheap mobo (matsonic I think). I changed the PSU from 300 to 350W but it was all the same. I think it could also be the mobo.

You can test the PSU.

Powering up an atx psu without a motherboard:

http://www.burnoutpc.com/index.php?page=reviews&review_id=68

If it starts it's probably nothing wrong with it.

BTW: You can destroy your computer if you don't know what you're doing. wink

Thanks for the information, I have a 350 W PSU, but it is a cheapy brand, I bought it plus the case for 25 bucks new. No wonder it is screwing up on me. I think i might invest in an Antec case and PS. I will give that PSu test a spin to see what happens. Thanks agin for the information.