Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freddy

120GB IBM drive

I got home from work yesterday to suddenly find my primary slave (120GB IBM drive), wasnt working. Windows XP on my 40GB Seagate master drive said the 120GB wasnt formatted and was empty. I checked it with partition magic and it shows 60GB of data still there but the error check says "too many errors". Upon a reboot XP still doesnt recognize it as formatted (FAT32 formatted).

I've never trusted IBM drives and not this one...it makes the odd strange noise...like the motor jams and then frees again. Anyway here is the weird thing...my other removable drive is running windows 98. Booting up on this drive it reads the 120GB no problem at all. A scan disk found a prob but fixed it.

So, how do I get XP to see the data, how do I fix the partition? I've got a replacement drive anyway because it's clearly got a fault, even if I fix it, it will likely happen again. What I don't understand is why windows 98 can see the drive and work with the data on it without any errors, yet windows XP (the superior operating system??) can't see any data or fix it, and neither can partition magic!

Thanks for your help, I will try a native chkdsk from XP CD.

Fortunately it IS my backup drive (not that fortunate if my other drives should fail though!) so its not catastrophic. I would like to retrieve the 30GB of DivX movies I have accumilated on there though smile Might just have to boot up with windows 98 and get them off from there. But would be nice, and be easier to back up, if I can get XP reading it.

Thanks for your replies.

FREDDY

CHKDSK from the Recovery Console said soemthing like "the drive has unrecoverable errors". But the Windows 98 still reads it fine, so that's the way I'll proceed. Excellent to know you can make the recovery console a boot option, I will do that.

FREDDY

Oh by the way, I'm replacing the 120GB,7,200rpm,ATA100 IBM drive with the equivalent Maxtor drive. Do Maxtor have a good reputation and good reliability?

As it happens I was put off WD too because I got 3 bad drives in a row a couple of years ago...from that batch that was going around. Put me off WD. Everyone seems to throw out a bad batch now and then so I think your right, it's just luck of the draw.

I don't have an installation CD for the IBM drive but I will take a look on their site for any repair utilities, that's a good suggestion.

FREDDY