Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Opinions on best RPG?

Ok which RPG game in your opinion in the last 5 years has:

1:Been the most fun to play

and

2:Had the best replay Value

System Shock 2. Replay value: play it on "Impossible".

Don't play this game if you're easily scared and have a heart condition.

Note: this is not only an RPG. It's a genre-bender game... it's a first-person shooter/action/adventure/horror/RPG all in one. Even has multiplayer, though should be played first time through single player.

It is still my favorite single player game, besting DX and HL.

For best game:

Sytem shock 2 (see ^ for reason)

For good Replay:

I haven't actually played through Morrowind all the way through caus it's a little slow on my comp (By a little slow I mean extreamely slow).

But anyway, I've heard that that has awsome replay value.

Best all round:

Neverwinter Nights, Very good single player, and lots of good downloadable quests....and free online.

Actualy an expantion will be comming out soon aswell

Morrowind is the best stand alone RPG, followed by NWN.

I only played SS2 once and didn't like it, although I may try it again.

When you say RPG is that exactly what you mean?

If so as just posted Morrowing & Neverwinter Nights have probably got to be the best out there.

Closely followed by the now old, but still great Baldur's Gate series.

Diablo II is anything but an RPG.

Dungeon Siege is a step in the right direction, but even that feels more "hack & slash" than RPG.

I'd say the diablo is a good "starter" RPG It gets first time RPGers into the whole character building thing.

Quote:

I just got morrowind and it is pretty cool. My character moves entirely too slow though, even when compared to the other characters in the game.

Quote:
Quote:

I just got morrowind and it is pretty cool. My character moves entirely too slow though, even when compared to the other characters in the game.

If you don't want to cheat (which I recommend since it is waaaaaaaaayyy to easy to become powerful in this game without cheating) then get the Boots of Speed. Make ya much faster. Then just either assign speed points, Make Enchantments, or potions to boost your speed.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you don't want to cheat (which I recommend since it is waaaaaaaaayyy to easy to become powerful in this game without cheating) then get the Boots of Speed. Make ya much faster. Then just either assign speed points, Make Enchantments, or potions to boost your speed.

Yeah well I think I am going to start a new character anyway...I chose the birthsign that doesn't let you regenerate your magic and it is getting to be a pain.

Not exactly a RPG either, like System Shock's, but I very much recommend Deus Ex. In some magazine, think it was, PCG, they ranked it among the Top 10 of all time best PC games. Great stuff, although I really do hope they improve moving for the next one, due to come out in June: you get stuck in the corners, couches and big metal crates tend to move with you and climbing the ladders and jumping can be irritating some times. But as for the gameplay and story, worth checking out, to say the least. Cheap, too smile

^^^ i really did not like Deus X - was too - well, boring for me - the 2nd part i have nto tried but heard it was a great improvement over the first.

Diablo II i always go back to with the add-on for it. fun to play but can get boring easily when you have finished it numerous times already - but making new characters and building them up diff then you did before - my fav usually a double axed Barb or double swords - who needs a shield!..lol

Ultima 7...

(Comic book guy voice)

"Best RPG EVER!"

of the the newer RPG's neverwinter nights was really really good...

very satisfying!

i am waiting to try morrowind until i have more time...

i got it right here.. the box is opened.. (has been for 2 months)

i just know i can't commit the time to play it.

soon baby, sooooon... (carresses box)

edit: woops! just reread the first post... yeah U7 came out more than 5 years ago... but i HAD to say something!

did anyone try Arcanum:of magics and steamworks obscura? (errr somethin like that)

i found it to be alot of fun... was i alone?

Arcanum kicked my ass. I love having alotta charisma and persuation...just the conversations you have with people are awsome.

and you ARE behind the times ;p try ultima 9

Oh, something I forgot about "Fate of the Dragon(s)" you pick I think 4 samurai and burninate the country side ala diablo style. love more depth than diab tho.

WAAAT, I thought it was pretty dam kewl.

What was wrong with it?

1. it was formulaic.

go to dungeon, kill critters, kill boss at bottom, get rune, repeat.

2. the story AS WRITTEN BY LORD BRITISH was cut off about 50% through and the ending was completely re-written by execs at EA wanting it to be ready in time for xmas that year. (also causing problem number 3)

3. with 2 patches the game is still very very buggy and still doesnt run well on todays high end hardware.

4. AI routine; see player, rush player, repeat.

There is currently a major mod being done for the Morrownd engine of ultima 9 with the complete story and original Lord British ending.

Don't get me wrong, i love the Ultima series more than just about anyone, been playing since ultima 1 on my pc junior in 81.

The story and gameplay in ultima 9 was weak when measured against the legacy that spawned it.

May as well throw this into the mix; Final Fantasy XI has an open beta currently. Don't remember the signup URL off hand, will look for it and post it later.

BTW, there is both PS2 and PC versions for you console gamers.

If anyone have a PSX or (like myself) an emulator I'd suggest "Legend of Legaia" busy playing it right now....looks like a good story, and an AWSOME concept, crazy fight system.

I donno, check it out

I'd have to say Morrowind. I haven't finished it yet, but I've enjoyed it a lot, especially now that my character moves quickly... laugh

Followed by..

Baldurs Gate..

The 4th Coming during alpha/beta..

and that other game that I can't think of right now due to lack of sleep..

Quote:
I've enjoyed it a lot, especially now that my character moves quickly

Yeah that was a pain.

I got frustrated with it not letting me complete quests. I patched it so maybe that won't be an issue anymore. Also I wish it wasn't quite as dark and you could grab a horse or something to move faster over large areas.