Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ET

Age of Empires Gold and Windows 2000

I recently bought Age of Empires Gold. Thought it was a nice classic, and I should try it. The box listed a whole slew of Windows versions, including NT and XP, and while Win2K wasn't mentioned, I was kind of hoping...

Well, it doesn't work. The game runs, the videos and menus show, but it drops to the desktop once an actual game starts. I'm using Win2K SP3 with a GeForce3 and latest drivers.

Is this problem solvable? The listing says that people managed to run this game on Windows 2000.

i had the same problem with windows XP.

Does it happen in a network game too?

I think if you update the game it should work, and maybe disable some background apps....

This may be a problem with NVIDIA drivers. Two computers, one running an GeForce2, and another a GeForce3, dropped to the desktop in the same way. Another computer with an integrated SiS chipset ran the game fine. All were running Windows 2000 SP3 with DX9 installed.

Immortal, what display card do you have?

Tested this early on, after seeing MS's faq. The game either doesn't run at all, if the acceleration level is too low, or drops to the desktop.

Quote:

Immortal, what display card do you have?

Yeah, im using a TNT2 Pro with the 41.09 drivers....

Aoe 2 Gold work well with Win2K but it's a bit buggy. At least it seemed that way with SP3 loaded. I have a beta copy of SP4, so maybe I should see if it works better.

What edition is "Gold Edition"? I know i am running xp, but i have been running age of empires, rise of rome, age of empires to and age of mythology absolutely fine - no problems. It might be worth checking ou the updates tho. Seem to fix a few AI problems.