Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kublis

Help with wireless dsl/cable router

Hi,

I am planning to get dsl later so I just got a wireless dsl/cable router and I am trying to connect my two computer using a peer-2-peer network. Is it possible to do this without a dsl connection? Can it be use as a hub/switch without a dsl connection?

I must be doing something wrong because I've been trying with no success. The wireless router is a DLink DI-614+ and it is connected to a XP w/ SP1 computer through a 3Com ethernet NIC and a Win98 computer through a DLink 520+ wireless card. Using the XP Computer, I can ping the router, but it can't ping itself. I haven't try the 98 computer. I'll probably try that later.

If more detail is needed, let me know.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I believe that you need to setup the router for DHCP and set up each computer to "obtain IP address" ............... Mine is set up that way and it doesn't matter if DSL is hooked up yet.

oooops,

I do have it setup that way and it still doesn't work. What dsl/cable router are you using?

By the way, on the 98 computer, it was able to ping itself. So I guess I am not configuring the XP computer correct. What does Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network do? It's located in the network properties under the authentication tab. Currently, it is check and in the EAP type window, it is showing Smart Card or other Certificate. If I understand this corretly, it is only use for Smart Card right?