Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mthaler

Favorite migration to new machine application?

Anybody have enough experience with these to make a recommendations. It seems that there have been a few out there for a while and that they should be maturing enough to actually become useful.

I am looking for recommendations.

Thanks

I'm not really clear on what you're looking for, but migrating from NT-based clients and servers to 2000 is one of the best upgrades... If you haven't deployed 2000 to your server, I would hold off and deploy Windows Server 2003 and either 2000 Professional or XP Professional to your workstations, of course dependant upon meeting the system requirements.

If that wasn't what you meant, sorry, I wasn't really clear what you were asking.

Hope that helps....

Adam

Well if you mean enterprise level migrations .... Symantec Enterprise Ghost 7.5 and Altiris each come with migration utilities to move users' documents, profiles, etc.

And if you just mean a single user, I prefer the good ol' backup to a CDRW or network location.

I was just about to say that too smile

The only application I really use from a single user point of view is EasyCD Creator and my TEAC CD-RW.

Oh and of course a few cheap CD-R's - one hour later and I'm ready for a wipe and reinstall.

I meant the kind of program that moves Mail, settings etc from one desktop to a new one. Very often a plain backup does NOT do a good job. For example, saving RULES in Outlook Express, Favorites etc. It is VERY easy to forget to move a bunch of these settings, and Microsoft does not make it easy. The OE Rules are deep inside the registry with a userid imbedded in them that you need to search and replace to move to a new desktop.

Programs like Alohabob, Acronis etc. are advertised to do this, but I have a feeling that personal exprerience will show that some are much better than others. I was looking for that kind of response.

Thanks

well, i use good old cd-r and now dvd-r's

Outlook - takes seconds to export rules and mail - as it has an export wizard smile

i have formated and such so often i never forget anything now.

i don't know any good software, sorry.

If you use windows XP, it has a migration tool. Stick in the CD let autorun kick in, and run the migration wizard. If win2k, I dunno.