Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

Easiest way to block a computer on network from shared drive

Hey all

The network we have here we will be allowing 1 outside computer on to it, but we have alot of shared drives and such, i know i can go through and put in user accounts and such etc, but thas alot of shared drives and folders i would have to do that on.

But, is there a way to simply block the IP assigned to them which would be 192.*.*.* from accessing shared drives ? and only allow them to surf the web?

Well, if you have a DHCP server and the domain properly locked down then it shouldn't matter. We have visiting people all the time that use our network to get to the Internet, and all their systems see is our network domain, and then they get prompted for credentials before being allowed to see the contents of any shares. And actually, you could still assign them an IP, but it wouldn't make any diff. If you have open shares with "everyone" allowed as access, then you have more problems with your level of security than this issue.

Currently that is all we have , is everyone access on shares as so often we simple share a drive.

What the other guy i work with decided was to give our landlord a line inot our cable so he can have internet - i did not approve of it, nor was i even asked so not happy about it.

So, we got a ton of shares and i am thining security, since we work from home, but he obviously is not.

Since we both know the passwords for main comps, on shares should i simply put in only admin access on folders?

mmm, i may have to do the authenticated users as we have Netopia R9100 router, and not sure if it can do that, shall haveto check.

well, the peson is not a HUGE security risk - but i am just being catious.

i put user accounts on each comp - so to get onto the comp with shared folders u got to put in a user / pass. that should do for now.

And yes, the person is on ourt internal lan - how ever i cna not see his comp on the network so not sure how my friend setit up on his end.

Iwould have NO clue as to any of that, it seems that the friend simply plugged in a netowkr cable and set it to dhcp, and that was it - he really doesn't have a clue about WINS or anything else.