Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reginald0

Problem with Red Hat 6.2 and two ethernet cards

Hi, folks!

I'm a network administrator typing from Brazil and I'm facing a crazy problem with Red Hat 6.2.

I installed two ethernet cards (already tried a lot of models of 3Com (905b, 905c, 980) and also Realtek (8129, 8139)) on a PIII-1.13GHz, and the situation is the following:

- The cards doesn't work if both are enable, but if I disabled (ifdown) one, the other begins to respond to ping;

- Ifconfig detects both (eth0 and eth1) at irq10 and irq11, respectively;

- I tried to swap the cards to different slot positions to avoid conflicts, but fails;

- There's no conflict between the cards, cause I tried to install other versions of Red Hat (7.2, 7.3) and the machine works well;

- I tried to compile the driver sources into the kernel instead of modules, but anyway without success;

- I also tried to upgrade the original kernel (2.2.14-5.0) to the newer version (2.4.20). Guess what? Same problem;

- At last, I tried to do all these things in a complete differente machine expecting hardware incompatibilities... Same situation;

Has anybody experienced similar problems using two ethernet cards with Red Hat 6.2? Am I doing something stupid? Is there some secret in this version that I don't know?

I would like to justify that I need too much that this thing works because I have an outdated commercial software that runs well just on Red Hat 6.2.

Please, somebody help me! I would be greatly thankful.

Happy new year!

PS: Sorry about my poor english :-)

Reginaldo O. Andrade

reginaldo@totalalimentos.com.br

Please don't dup the same the thread into multiple forums. I will remove the other two.

Hi, folks!

I finally discovered the cause of my problem (after a few days trying), and I would like to say that it has nothing to do with I could imagine to be:

I just disabled the option "Plug And Play OS Aware" at BIOS setup and everything works fine!

Many thanks to all the people who tried to help me, you're pretty cool.

Reginaldo O. Andrade

reginaldo@totalalimentos.com.br