Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
adamvjackson

FileSystem You Use Poll

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

Well, if we're getting technical ;( , NTFS on hard drives, FAT32 on floppy disks, CDFS on CDs...do DVDs use CDFS as well?

AndyF

All my drives use NTFS. 4GB file limit sucks and FAT is too unreliable for my liking. NTFS permissions are also handy to have.

When using the best OS available I feel it is only natural to use the best file system too - NTFS.

FAT & FAT32 should be condemed to the same fate as the OS's that spawned them - as mats for your coffee mugs.

Quote:
When using the best OS available I feel it is only natural to use the best file system too - NTFS.
FAT & FAT32 should be condemed to the same fate as the OS's that spawned them - as mats for your coffee mugs.

I totally agree, especially with simple file sharing where the permissions are hidden from novice users, thus feeling no different to FAT. There is no reason why FAT should be used unless dual boot is being used. FAT has had it's day.

Quote:

Is there any reason to use FAT any more? Apart from for floppy disks - and, lets face it, when was the last time you absolutely had to use a floppy?!

Quote:
when was the last time you absolutely had to use a floppy?!

LOL I don't even have my floppy drive in my computer. That shows how much I use it

Quote:
Quote:

Is there any reason to use FAT any more? Apart from for floppy disks - and, lets face it, when was the last time you absolutely had to use a floppy?!

ALOT. It's much easier and faster to do Bios flashes from a floppy. Much easier to transfer smaller filers. Much cheaper too.

ReiserFS on all my Linux main partitions with Ext2 for boot, UDF for DVDs (in reference to an earlier question), CDFS for CDs, and NTFS when I work with my server (which is watching its Gentoo replacement being built at this very moment...).

Quote:
ALOT. It's much easier and faster to do Bios flashes from a floppy. Much easier to transfer smaller filers. Much cheaper too.

Hmmmm, BIOS flash slipped my mind. As for small files, I just use the LAN.

I must admit I do still have a floppy in my system.

As somebody else said BIOS updates are easy this way (although up[censored] from within Windows has never caused me a problem on Intel manufactured motherboards).

Also things like firmware updates for DVD-ROM, SCSI Controllers etc seem to be that little bit easier from floppy too.

Floppy is the last remnants of FAT in my system.

Interesting POLL, but I think its gonna be a bit biased seeing as it is on a site set up for NT Based OS's wink (I read the thread from which this poll came from, and to see if peeps are using Win9x :x systems still, you need to put the poll on a non-specific site), interesting nonetheless though.

I use NTFS on my 2 machines at home, XP Pro and XP Home. At work we use NTFS on NT, soon to be W2k later this year ( laugh ).

The floppy-drive is also an interesting point. I recently bought a new pc and this came without a floppy drive 8) . Aint a problem really, as you can make a bootable cd within nero to do bios flashes etc. I actually do my bios flashes within windows on my ASUS CUV4x-D board.

Anyways, glad to see you all again. I haven't posted for ages, lots of things going on in RL etc. Hopefully I will be posting more.

Cheers

I think I might have to install a floppy drive. Just got a utility to disable Acoustic Management and it can only be done from a boot floppy.

Guess I'll have to put it in sooner or later.

NTFS all the way

floppies, well, the once in a blue moon i need to use one fat. and of cours eu got cd's and dvd's which formats vary pending on what i burn to them i assume.

I use NTFS now, I used to use FAT32 under Windows 2000 and XP since I saw no benefits with NTFS. But with my larger hard disk, I like NTFS's ability to keep performance high and cluster size low. Something FAT32 just can't do.

Quote:
Hmmm... I wonder what you guys think about this wink
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4233

I'm not even sure how this rates as news worthy, since people have been doing this forever. I have fixed NT installations with NT CDs, and I have done likewise Linux systems using Linux CDs. If I need to fix a Gentoo install, I can just boot with the CD and mount any partition I would like, then edit any of the files on that drive, setup an SSH server to move files off, or just FTP out anything of importance. I can even chroot into the environment installed on the HD and change the root password and anything else I want to. So, if you want flaws, there's some major ones right there belonging to Linux.

I have a very interesting setup that works really really well.

C: is 2 gigs fat32. Typically there is 1.5 gigs of actual data on there. My desktop folder i moved to d:\desktop via tweakUI. My email is on d: (outlook .pst file) and so are favorites etc. Temp dirs are on the other drives. The data on c: changes very little. All new apps go elsewhere. I dual boot windows 2000 and DOS. On the root of c: is ghost.exe (and a handful of handy sysinternal comandline tools, contig.exe, pping, etc.

D: drive is 10 gigs and is also Fat32 (for ghost images)

F: G: H: all NTFS (The big drives)

I've no floppy, but I used Nero tomake a bootable CD image of a win98 floppy (which I alsmost never use but its there just in case. I hate booting from rmeovable media as it is so slow and booting from dos from hard drive is so so fast.

I can ghost my c: partition, right from loading dos from nt bootloader, which is really really fast instead of using floppy/cdrom etc.

Since I ghost c:, and ghost.exe is on c:, ive always always got ghost handy. I save my ghost images (Usually 2 at any given time) onto d: fat32 partiiton. Thats why I have 2 fat32 , 1 to boot to dos and one for saving images. The past year and a half of dealing with vias and ati's drivers, ghosting before up[censored], has saved my a$$ numerous times.

And I occasionally ghost right to CD just for giggles. Ghosting to and from a real hard drive instead of a cdrw, is much faster to. Takes about 5-7 minutes to do my c:

And as you can see, When i ghost c: back to life, I neve lose files form my desktop, I never lose nay documents I added to my documents, I never lose any favorites Ive added recently. Pure sweetness.

And let's face it. Recovery console is very weak with regards to moving/repairing files, no xcopy, no deltree etc. Not tomention that if its not configured to load from the bootloader, and is instead loaded from the cd, it takes a milion years.

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm... I wonder what you guys think about this wink
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4233

I'm not even sure how this rates as news worthy, since people have been doing this forever. I have fixed NT installations with NT CDs, and I have done likewise Linux systems using Linux CDs. If I need to fix a Gentoo install, I can just boot with the CD and mount any partition I would like, then edit any of the files on that drive, setup an SSH server to move files off, or just FTP out anything of importance. I can even chroot into the environment installed on the HD and change the root password and anything else I want to. So, if you want flaws, there's some major ones right there belonging to Linux.

Yeah, I've seen TONS of problems with people encrypting their files and then losing the keys. Imagine if they lost access to the actual filesystem by default, this is why MS doesn't do it by default. Too much trouble for not much benefit.

Thank god for setting up multiple recovery agents for your EFS laugh

BUT

I do have something to make all of you chuckle.....

One of our technicians made the mistake of turning several old P2 machines .... into RAS servers .... only thing is they Dual boot into either windows 95 or 2000 Server .... :Plaugh