Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnapperOne

Changing networked hard drive name?

Have just completed setting up a 2-PC LAN using a LinkSys Router. Seems to work great.

However, when I go to "My Network Places"/"Computers near me", while both PCs are listed, the new PC shows up as "kr3n8bo". I would like to change this to something like "Basement PC", etc.....for ease-of-use reasons, but find where to do this.

SnapperOne

These instructions are for Windows 2000, but should be similar for Winodws 98/XP

Right-click on 'My Computer' choose 'Properties' click on the 'Network Identification' tab, click on the properties button, rename away!

adamvjackson -

re: "Yes I am a geek".......

From someone who is as far from being a "geek" as you can get, I notice that, when a non-geek's system goes kaboom, I don't hear my phone ringing off-the-hook. So, Geeks, thanks sincerely for all the info' you make available. If we had to count on the Microsoft's and Iomega's of the world, we'd all be screwed with out you.

SnapperOne

adamvjackson

Whoops..........followed your instructions, entered a correct PC-name, rebooted as instructed by Win2000 and, TA DA, a new PC ("BasementPC") shows up in "Computer near me". The only problem is, the old PC still shows up as well. Did I forget to do something?

SnapperOne

Hmm... Did you reboot both PCs? It seems to be caching the name somewhere. Try going to the 'View' menu and choose 'Refresh'. Let me know if that doesn't work; I tried quickly, and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.

adamvjackson

Once again, your suggestion worked. But, once again, Win2K is throwing me a new curve.

Now, whenever I attempt to access system #1 from system #2, I am prompted to "Enter Network Password". Never had this before. Don't know where to look to disable the prompt.

We're trying to run a simple 2-PC LAN behind a LinkSys router and ZoneAlarm on both PCs; and, while it may be a poor security decision, we'd really like to use the two machines without passwords.

SnapperOne

adamvjackson -

Please excuse my denseness (is that a word), but setting up this network is starting to make my eyes glaze over.

Anyway, are we supposed to be logging in to both machines with the Adminsitrator Account?

I believe the PC with the new hard drive is listed as Guest, and I am unaware of any intentional account name change and/or new name name.

Of course, I'm not certain where I'd look for those answers anyway.

So far my google searches on the subject of network setups has been one dead end after another. Sorry, getting a bit frustrated.

SnapperOne

Try logging in to both machines as Administrator. If you have set a password on either machine, you can remove it by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on the change password button. As far as security is concerned, I personally log in as Administrator on both of my Windows 2000 machines, so with a bit of common sense, I see no problems with doing so. With both machines logged in as Administrator, see if you can access each other's shared resources (folders, printers, drives, etc.). I understand, believe me, how frustrating things can be when they don't work as expected... Have patience! You're getting there!