Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

100Mb nic seen as 10Mb by router/switch :(

A friend of mine has a Linksys wireless router w/4 port switch. He currently doesn't have an Internet connection, & uses the router as a DHCP server for his Compaq desktop pc & his Viewsonic Tablet PC. The wireless option is currently not used by any pc.

When I plug his desktop into the switch, the 100Mb light doesn't light; Windows Me device manager tells me the nic is a Intel 10/100 device. I thought that maybe the cable was the problem, so I switched cables with the tablet but the same thing happens (i.e., the tablet is again correctly recognised at 100Mb, while the desktop continues to be shown as having a 10Mb connection).

I tried reloading the divers (& TCP/IP), but the issue persists. If I attempt to force the nic to run at 100Mb instead of "auto sense", WinMe refuses to boot normally & goes into safe mode.

Thoughts?

Have you tried ...

1. Updated Intel Nic Drivers

2. Updated Router firmware ... unlikely but who knows.

3. Are the cables being used CAT 5 or higher? Were the cables made by you or are they commercial?

4. Have you tried other ports on the router to rule out that possiblity. I have had bad ports on linksys routers before.

5. Try another NIC in the PC

I imagine the tablet PC when plugged into the port works fine at 100 megs, correct?

Trial n Error is what needs to be done here

DS3Circuit,

1. Am taking drivers over to his place tonight

2. Hmmm, no I haven't

3. All are Cat5e (the tablet shows 100Mb with any of the cables anyway)

4. All ports show 10Mb

5. Will try that tonight if driver update no worky

Hmmm, looks like this nic (onboard a Presario) is really only a 10Mb device, regardless of how Device Manager sees it (10/100). Willy, over at the storage review forums seems to have it all cleared up for me. thanks to all that tried to help or took the time to look smile

Quote:

* I could be wrong, memory's a BIT dim regarding cablemodems & dsl modems specs that way, but I am PRETTY SURE that 10mbit is the most you can do online with std. modems issued by most broadband companies...
APK

I have a Belkin 4 port router, and a 10/100 card in each of the computers. I have no problem with a computer to computer connection of 100mbit, however the connection to the cable modem remains at 10mbits. It's just as though your dealing with a slower computer connected to the router.

Quote:
I have a Belkin 4 port router, and a 10/100 card in each of the computers. I have no problem with a computer to computer connection of 100mbit, however the connection to the cable modem remains at 10mbits. It's just as though your dealing with a slower computer connected to the router.

AFAIK, all cable modems, and all WAN ports on consumer-grade routers are capped at 10Mb.

Quote:

AFAIK, all cable modems, and all WAN ports on consumer-grade routers are capped at 10Mb.

Agree!

Since consumer-grade cable and dsl modems handle less than 10mb, it only makes sense smile

Alec, et al. Thanks for taking the time & looking at my post. I don't know where all the discussion of cable modems has come from because like I said in my post there is NO Internet connection.

The only device talking to the 2 nics is the 4 port 10/100 switch built into the router. Like I said before, Willy over at the StorageReview forums linked me to this discussion that basically concluded the onboard nic built into my friends Presario is a piece of garbage.

I'm going to take the easy route & just put in a real nic smile

Quote:
Only question is really on my end, is HOW fast is that wireless router capable of sending/receiving/routing information?

APK

I dunno yet Alec. I will check it out nexttime I'm up at my friends house & try some file transfers using the wireless nic in his Tablet & the router.