Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bats31

passwords

any one have any ideas how i can place a password on a regualr folderi have on my desktop so no one can open it? much appreciated

Please explain the context under which you'd like to lock people out? Are you trying to lock out network access to your files or local access (that is from other users of your system?)

for example, on my desktop i have folders for mp3's, i want to enable a password so if sumone was at my computer, and clicked on the mp3 folder, they would need a password to open it, making the folders hidden is a pain so i was wondering if they could be password protected, and i dont mean on a network where the files are bein shared just for people who go in my room and mess w my pc any ideas will help, thanks

Hi bats31,

Making files hidden isn't any more of a pain than dicking with security options smile. However, what you'll need to do is create a guest or user account for everybody else, I'd recommend making everybody else a guest unless they need to be able to save documents to the system, most people usually just want to browse the web these days. Then you right click over the folder you want to lock and click on the security tab and give full control to Administrators and remove control to everyone else.

Also you'll want to disable inherit security options from parent object, that way the public drive and or parent folder rights won't overide your folder specific rights.

Good Luck,

Christian

Since you have XP, you should download the 'Fast User Switching' powertoy, and keep the guest account logged in. When you're ready to leave the PC, just lock it/go to the user switch screen. I think that's the easiest solution.

Hi Adam,

IMDB is great isn't it? I just wish the photos of all of hollywood's hotties weren't so damn expensive or small, if that were the case I might actually get one. However what I really like about IMDB is that you can say old so and so was in "Life Stinks" and then look it up.

Cheers,

Christian