Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

Common Tasks Problem

hey...

i have a mp3 folder and it is customized to a music folder.

until yestersay i was able to click on the command "play all" [which is on the common tasks in the left part of the screen],

and winamp would automatically load with all the mp3's in its play list.

now, for some reason clicking on "play all" gives me the error "unable to find a playable file" and yet double clicking any file in the directory load winamp.....

how do i fix this problem ?? frown ;(

Quote:
hey...
i have a mp3 folder and it is customized to a music folder.
until yestersay i was able to click on the command "play all" [which is on the common tasks in the left part of the screen],
and winamp would automatically load with all the mp3's in its play list.

now, for some reason clicking on "play all" gives me the error "unable to find a playable file" and yet double clicking any file in the directory load winamp.....

how do i fix this problem ?? frown ;(

Did you try reselecting the folder from winamp?

winamp works great.......selecting a folder or a file from winamp works fine and also double clicking a mp3 file works (winamp loads and plays the song).

my problem is with the OS.i got used to work with a folder customized as a music folder ,and as such a folder a command "play all" appears in the common tasks tab and clicking on it loads all files automatically to winamp.........well at least it used to.....now it won't, now clicking on the "play all" command in a folder filled with mp3's gives me the error "unable to find a playable file".....and that is my problem.....

any thoughts?

Quote:
winamp works great.......selecting a folder or a file from winamp works fine and also double clicking a mp3 file works (winamp loads and plays the song).
my problem is with the OS.i got used to work with a folder customized as a music folder ,and as such a folder a command "play all" appears in the common tasks tab and clicking on it loads all files automatically to winamp.........well at least it used to.....now it won't, now clicking on the "play all" command in a folder filled with mp3's gives me the error "unable to find a playable file".....and that is my problem.....

any thoughts?

I assume your using v.3 . I use 2.78 cause I don't need all the visual BS, but the selections are pretty much the same. Actually I don't use it that way, but it sounds as if some of the associations have been lost.

In WinAmp preferences, I'd look at:

Under 'File Types'
make sure that the file associations for mp3 are included.
'Register winamp types on start' should be checked
'Directory context menus' should be checked (I think this is the pertinent one)

There may be another selection in v3... look around. Anyway, I think the answer is in the WinAmp configuration file.

well....i'm using winamp 2.81 and all the setting you mentioned were already set.

'customized as a music folder' kinda threw me as you can really play 'any' folder with mp3 files in it ;-).

As I said, I think that you screwed up something with the winamp to mp3 associations. Right now, rather than trying to determine what needs to be fixed, you should just reinstall the program. It's not a big deal, and, it should get you running.

reinstalled winamp......still a no go.

i should mention again...winamp works and double clicking mp3's works, it's just the play all command on the common tasks that is not working..(but used to..)

Quote:
reinstalled winamp......still a no go.

i should mention again...winamp works and double clicking mp3's works, it's just the play all command on the common tasks that is not working..(but used to..)

Ok, so ya gotta do it the hard way.

A number of questions that you need to ask yourself...
What did 'you' do just before the function stopped working?
These things don't just stop all by themselves ya know.
Did you, for example, install any other software (especially media related) or make any system changes?

Also, do the 'enqueue in winamp' and the 'add to winamp bookmark list' functions still work from the tasks list?

And, It wouldn't hurt to have the 'enqueue as default' on in winamp.

If you're up to it, Check the Registry for:

My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\shell\Winamp.Play\command

default should be "C:\Program Files\Winamp
\Winamp.exe" "%1"

Humm... this is really embeded. do a search on winamp.
anywhere you hit the '\shell\Play\command'
the default should all be "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe" "%1"

if it's not, that's the problem. Of course that's assuming that you have winamp installed to C:\Program Files\Winamp

come to think of it...i did do something....

i ran the "check for player updates" of the windows media player 9 rc1 and it downloaded 13MB and updated it to version 9.00.00.2926

i didn't read much into it because i once installed a windows media update when i installed the wmp 9 beta ,but that didn't screw up thing.....maybe the new update did ..........

Quote:
come to think of it...i did do something....
i ran the "check for player updates" of the windows media player 9 rc1 and it downloaded 13MB and updated it to version 9.00.00.2926

i didn't read much into it because i once installed a windows media update when i installed the wmp 9 beta ,but that didn't screw up thing.....maybe the new update did ..........

Uh... yep.. that could be a problem. I have windows media v6.x.. for a reason. Nobody can screw up their own system faster than Bill's boys laugh Next time look at something like Zoom Player.

I'd see if you can uninstall.

no...there is no uninstall for win xp.....only system restore.

i must say that when i first installed wmp 9 rc1 nothing got messed up..it is only when i updated it that problems began...

anyway...how can i fix it without removing wmp 9 which is an excellent program...