Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
richardhobbs

Win ME and HP cd-writer plus 7200e driver?

Can anybody help? I have a housebound friend. He has WinME and I found him a hp cd writer plus 7200e at a flea market. I've scoured the Driverguide site and HP and either I don't understand the lingo or there is not a driver available. :x

Neither my friend nor I am very experienced with drivers, or know how to find them.

Please e-mail me if you have a driver or know where I can get one.

richardhobbs@usa.com thanks.

I can't even find mention or anyone else looing for a driver for these two items. Anyone know why?

Yer, they exist.

Surprised you didn't manage to find them on HP's site though.

I was a little confused to start with, then it suddenly hit me that device is external and so does actually require drivers - Internal ones are fine.

Anyway, I went here:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/eng/software_drivers.htm

In the search box I entered:

cd writer plus 7200e

That took me to a page where I could select my OS and then download any drivers I needed.

Also note there appears to be a Firmware upgrade available too, WinME, Win2k & WinXP can be very picky about Firmware so it might be worth up[censored] this too.

I had went there However I am a little stupid about all this.

I didn't think he needed a driver when he got this unit at a flea market becasue it is external. However when we plugged it into his parralell port I think its parallell it is long and flat instead of bunched up I think the bunched up two row less wide plug is the serial and the flat broad one row one is the parrallell. Am I correct?

Please hold my hand through this some one becasue I don't know which way is up :x

if we connectred the cord and get nothing no recognition even by the operating system that some thing is there or if we get the machine looking for a driver to install and telling us nothing it has matches. What does this mean.

is it a fact that we don;t need a driver but some way to tell the os that there is a unit attached to the parralell port? Hwo does that system identify the PP?

lastly, What is firm ware and how were you able to identify it as for the ME system?

when I follow Hp's site to the list of drivers it seems to offer a drive for the Windows XP there and not the Windows ME. Does this work for both or is this a clever way of HP to getr ME owners to buya drive that will be useless to them?

Any help here willbe greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the relpy thus far.

Hello,

I think you are getting a little bit confused by the drivers page.

At the very top it says something about "Windows XP Compatability" however underneath is a link to all the WinME files.

Anyway, as a temporary solution I've uploaded the file onto my web space for you.

It wont stay here for ever, so if you can send me a message once you've got it I'd appreciate it (mainly because I'm sure the HP license agreement probably says I'm not allowed to host it).

www.prawlings.net/files/hp/epat150.exe

This will dowload a 275k file, it is a self extracting file, simply run it and it will launch the setup program.

Here is the readme from the page where I downloaded these drivers from:

This download includes new parallel port drivers for Windows Me. Verify the CD-Writer is attached to the computer and powered on before installing the new drivers. Re-installation of the original software is not necessary. The new driver files will allow the HP CD-Writer Plus parallel port drive to be recognized in Windows Me. Windows Me was tested with Easy CD Creator ver. 3.5c and Direct CD ver. 2.5d. If you are not currently running at least these versions of software, please update your software to these versions.

Get the thing recognised and running, then we'll worry about firmware.

I have downloaded it to my disk and e-mailed it to the shut in who it is for. I am in Ohio. He is in New York. On the 19th I'll get to his polace and try and help him get it working. I told him to give it a try on his own if he wants.

If you lkike you can pull it down and thanks for your help, if we are still stuck we will consult you again.

I hoppe I can help you with something or that someone returns this favor to you.

thanks x million. smile .

Richardhobbs@usa.com