Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thepaperclip

windows xp problem

k i leave xp on over night and i will get an annoyoing ass add pop up like the one i attached (usually some anoting [censored] or other junk thing)

wtfgay.jpg

task manager tracks it back to csrss.exe (the ip it displays on the add is mine)

anyone know how to stop this or what it is?

that looks like that new exploit that peeps are using for spam ads

disable your messenger service

not the msmessenger program

go into services

sweet

although the solution was posted on this board awhile ago but i cant find it again

so can i get a golf clap for the guy who posted it earlier

Yeah, it's amazing how low people will go. What's REALLY amazing is that it's being brought out as an issue since we've had it for a looonng time.

Quote:
The Messenger service (not to be confused with Windows Messenger) is nothing new, it's been around in versions of Windows NT since about v4 (maybe older). It's intended as a means of sending administrative alerts to other users on a LAN. Unfortunately since it makes no distinction between LAN and Internet, anyone can send a message to anyone who has the Messenger service enabled.

Messenger has been used for evil purposes in the past. Several years ago at an I-LAN which was held not long after Windows 2000 was released much havoc was wreaked by certain people who found it fun to message the entire workgroup (which can cause some games to effectively alt-tab out, much to the frustration of the person who was about to get that last frag to win the match). It was also used more recently to scare people into thinking that Microsoft were tracking their use of illegal software.

Since until recently NT has remained the domain of big companies and the more technically-minded users, no-one has really bothered to try using it for spam until now. Now XP is on the scene and has become widespread, it's a different story. Since there are so many WinXP users who have no idea what the Messenger service is let alone how to disable it, I can see this becoming a much more widespread problem.

The solution of course (under Win2k and WinXP) is to go into "Computer Management" (easiest way is to right-click "My Computer" and click "Manage"), go to "Services and Applications", then to "Services", scroll down to "Messenger" and double-click it. Change the "Startup type" to Manual and click the "Stop" button. Click Ok, and it's disabled. I'm sure you can figure out how to re-enable it for yourselves should you want to.

(http://www.xiven.com/blog.php?start=11&count=1)

could you use a spam killer like Ad-Aware to stop it or this is something ....rather ....odd?

they use your computer like an add panel in the subway. oh i hate that. we see enough adds in our life anyways. why they have to (practicly) hack into your system to put thoes ads there?

Quote:
could you use a spam killer like Ad-Aware to stop it or this is something?

Doubtful, as Ad-Aware would see this as normal. Best bet is to disable the messenger service, unless your network requires it to be enabled.