Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Idolater

Populous the Beginning and XP?

How do I run populous the beginning in Windows XP Professional? I've downloaded the latest patch, but it's still not working. I can't launch the game. Help!

The site to get the patch that works no longer exists or works, are there any others?

Reply to "math_rules2001@yahoo.com"

Thank You.

I don't know if this is the same game I am having problems or not with, but maybe someone can help.

I downloaded Populous 2, and it came with a MS_DOS file and a MS_BATCH file. The DOS one doesn't work, like most won't, but the batch file doesn't work like most should.

It says:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Populous 2>REM Intro

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Populous 2>pop2 /ss /l

And flashes really quick then disappears....

I've dug out my copy of the game to show my wife something... and I can't install it on XP. I get an autoexec.nt error when attempting...

From c:\windows\repair copy the config.nt and autoexec.nt files to c:\windows\system32.

Great, thanks a lot... With copying these files to system32 cause any problems in the future with anything else?

Thanks,

Mark.

Originally posted by fundo55:

Quote:
Yes, I was able to find the solution, download the populous 1.03 patch at Populous downloads This should be able to fix you problem if not then contact me at The Populous Forums in the populous section.

That file doesn't appear to be available anymore. I've tried logging in, but I don't get a download page.

At least managed to install thanks to help here.... But still can't run...

Originally posted by madfiddler:

Quote:
Great, thanks a lot... With copying these files to system32 cause any problems in the future with anything else?

Thanks,

Mark.

No, the REPAIR folder has uncorrupted copies of those files that have been corrupted by spyware/virus/lame program. Copying them from REPAIR or from your CD's fixes those files.

To start, I haven't actually tried it yet(Because of issues I read here), but I still must ask... Have there been any fixes or patches or tricks or raw code(written) released that will allow Populous 3 to be run on Window$ XP pro? I absolutely love the game but don't want to waste my time if it wont work(Got too many things going on right now to attempt a no go). Thanx in advance.

Nitemare{Sdw}

P.S. I know this is an old thread, but having just found it... I figured I should at least ask smile