Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dTx

starcraft / ipx b.s.

im not a complete newbie, but had a question for those who could help me out...

i have a laptop running 2000, and desktop running xp. everythings networked fine, i can share files, internet, etc. but when i create a game in starcraft ipx, it shows the game created by 1 of the cpus and when the other cpu joins, it says unable to join game, then it disappears. has this happened to anybody?

i tried uninstalling and installing the ipx protocols, and still no change...

Give up with Starcraft over IPX (it's quite buggy especially in Win2k/XP). Download the latest SC patch from http://www.blizzard.com/ and marvel at the wonderous new option to play over UDP/IP.

Have you tried manually setting the frame type in the properties for the IPX/SPX protocol? It shouldn't matter if you select Ethernet 802.2 or 802.3 just make sure its the same for all the machines on the network.

I've never had any trouble getting StarCraft working over IPX but then, thats under XP. I don't recall playing SC multi seriously under 2k...

^^ n/m that, I linked to this thread from the front page and thought it was in the 2k forum... :x

I am not a complete newbie as well BUt I have a problm with my StarCraft + StarCraft - Broodwar

* Since i installed Windows Xp pro, and installed Starcraft, i can not play my StarCraft.

This is what i done -> I double clicked StarCraft icon to execute the game, but after when it gets to the 'Blizzard Entertainment' clip at the start...the game flicks and gets me to the desktop...WHY? frown

Is it because of my Windows Xp pro ?...plz help me out frown , i really like to get back to my Starcraft again smile .

-------------My Computer---

Windows Xp pro

- P3 1000Mhz

- 640 SD-RAM

- GeForce2 MX200/400 64mb

- 80Gb HDD

- 17' LG Flatron 775FT monitor

- SB Live! sound card

Althou the latest patch does support TCP/IP UDP protocol, not being able to run the game using IPX/SPX can be a real pain in the ass. I had exactly the same problem. All the support from the Blizzard FAQ didn´t work for me. I finally managed to fix the problem by disabling certain services of Win2k or setting them to "manual".

If my memory serves me right, I postet the solution into this forum. It might still be there; try using the search function.

Ok, call me stupid, but I can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would want to play over IPX when UDP/IP is available and runs just as well. I removed IPX from my PC as soon as Blizzard released the UDP patch.

XP users

Goto Network connections--->properties of the lan

card that your using to N/W. Goto IPX/SPX properties

and assign locator numbers. eg 000001 one computer

on, 000002 on the second.............. This resolves

the issue.

Enjoy Maadi!

smile