Hey

ok im running windows 2000 pro my system specs are below

AMD Athlon XP 1800

256Mb DDR

ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card (64Mb)

20Gb Maxtor HDisk

MS Motherboard

my problem is:

when windows loads up and when the desktop is on the screen and you try to run a game or dvd or even drag a window or icon accross the desktop the game/dvd etc jumps every 1 second, this is not so bad when using windows functions like explorer etc but when playing a game or watching a dvd its not good!

so basically the computer jumps every 1 second making it hard to play games and watch films i have disables norton antivirus and all system try i cons etc what else can be wrong?? this is annoying me no end!!

Alright bud, you might want to limit your post on this topic to one forum, so that way everyone can see each other's posts to it and you will have one central location to work with.

first of all sorry for the long post and the fact i put it in more than one forum

i do mean skips frames and lags yeah ill check the active desktop but i think its turned off not sure what else to try

I would try a video card from a company that doesn't have a 7 + year track record of completely horid drivers. Matrox and NVidia make quality cards.

-Christian

You might try a different version of DirectX, and or updated video drivers. Also you might try turning off any special features that come with your lousy ATI drivers. ATI loves to add all these enhancements that don't work right and lower the stability and compatiblity of your system.

ok thanks for that i think my drivers are up to date, i have heard ati have a bad support record!!

when you say features that come with ati cards what do u mean??

anyone interested in an ati radeon 7500 lol!!

laugh Yes of course, this is the perfect opportunity to sell it. I can see everyone lining up: 8) . I think you should provide a link to your eBay auction right here: laugh . By features I mean they do things with the windows interface, like having a virtual desktop that extends beyond the viewable screen area, aka emulated multi-mon. I would start by making sure their tray app isn't running. How long have you used windows? You ought to be able to tell what's standard behavior and what ATI decided to "improve" if you can call it that :x .

-Christian

Go into their desktop settings and if they use the words "enhace", "improve", "change", "enlarge", "customize" or anything to that effect turn it off.

-Christian

yeah been using windows for ages just wanted to make sure what u were meaning, do u think disabling standard windows fretured will help too like animated menus etc??

I don't see why you shouldn't try disabling that stuff. You sould also try monkeying with graphics acceleration and see if that doesn't help. Write me back if you don't know how to do that.

ok thanks for that ill give it a try tomorrow im off to bed now getting l8 over here!

if you are using a VIA chipset get the latest 4 in 1 drivers

just fixed up a via system and it was working like crap until the latest 4 in 1s were installed

Try a different Windows version (Me/XP). Or install a service pack (SP2/SP3) for Windows 2000, if you haven't done it yet. If everything else fails (latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers, latest ATi drivers...), then just check the www.tweak3d.net article about AGP Aperture Size. It may help (or not). I used to have a Radeon 7000 and it kept frameskipping when I was playing Unreal Tornament, Nascar 2002 or Serious Sam 2. But never had any trouble playing DVD's, though.

i have used windows ME and XP on m system before, ME the frame skipping does NOT happen but on XP i have the same problem, ill try the driver links and the 4 in one drivers too thanks again.

i did try and turn off the ATI additional functions that ship with the software and i also turned down some of the graphics effects in windows but it still did not solve the problem

I used to thave this Pentium II/III BX motherboard that had a default setting in the bios of cache video ram (which by the way is slow and stupid) and it gave me all sorts of video problems. Check and see if that's an option in your bios and make sure it's turned off.

Try disabling USB. I have seen usb on some systems with a ATI rade.. do the "lock and release" glitch. It's like the whole computer freezes for a second then returns to normal and the cycle continues. Disabling USB in the BIOS solved this 2 out of 3 times. If that works, get a new video card, or live without USB.

Also make sure your vid card is not sharing IRQ.

ok i have disabled USB and no change

i have tried to find the AGP arpeture size in the bios but can only find "Graphic Win Size" ??? thats running at 64m

I have noticed that my graphics card and sound card are both sharing IRQ 11! it does say that there are no conflicts though?? should i still change it over??

By the way some additional information

the frame skips are as frequent as the system CPU and memory monitor that run when you press ctrl alt delete and click on task manager then click on performance.

I have tried stopping the cpu usage monitor etc but the skips still carry on

My motherboard is a K7S5A AMD board - doubt that will help at this stage lol!

thanks

Ok heres an update!!

I have tried a different graphics card in my system and the frameskips still occur

i have taken out ALL other internal hardware (soundcard) and the frameskips still occur

with the exact same system setup the frameskipping does NOT occur on windows ME

As far as i know the frameskipping does NOT occur when windows is starting up (when the small dialogu box is on the screen displaying windows 2000 starting up, preparing network connections etc)

The skips only seem to occue when the desktop icons appear and the task bar.

I have tried disabling USB and no change, i have installed service pack 3 and no change!

Reinstall windows??? - even though i have tried this before and it seems to keep on happening!

Quote:
I would try a video card from a company that doesn't have a 7 + year track record of completely horid drivers. Matrox and NVidia make quality cards.
-Christian

i hate reading this, just considering i have had a few ATI cards, never had any problems, O/S 's ranging from 98 - XP and not ONCE had a performce issue, bad dirver issue, NADDA! - as well my uncles lives by ATI - again, no issue since his first p 233.

really makes we wonder.....

ok the windows patches i have installed are:

Windows 2000 SP3

Windows 2000 Hotfix (Pre SP4) See Q324096

Windows 2000 Hotfix (Pre SP4) See Q324380

Windows 2000 Hotfix (Pre SP4) See Q326830

Windows 2000 Hotfix (Pre SP4) See Q326886

Running Direct X 8.1 for win 2k

i assumed you meant windows patches??

Is there any way to rollback your directX version? When you said you'd tried a different video card did you try another ATI? Did you try a PCI video card to diagnose if it was an AGP functionality issue? The Graphics window size has gotta be the same thing as the AGP Aperture size. Go ahead and make sure that it's not taking up any more than ~1/4 of your total RAM. Has anyone considered that it could be an Anti-Virus program or some Adware running in the background eating up CPU time? Why don't you start windows and when everything has finished loading (wait until the hard drive quits chewing) press CTRL+ALT+DEL (3 Finger Salute), T for task manager, and click on the processes tab, write down the names of every .exe running and post it here. Also you might try to install Ad-Aware to remove any addware that could be eating your CPU for breakfast. Ad-Aware download.

Ok here are all of the processes that i have running when ctrl alt delete pressed

System idle process

system

smss.exe

csrss.exe

winlogon.exe

services.exe

Isass.exe

IEXPLOR.EXE (this is open cause im writing this post!)

svchost.exe

hidserv.exe

AppServices.exe

navapsvc.exe

taskmgr.exe

npssvc.exe

NPRTOECT.EXE (Norton Anti virus) (i have tried disabling this)

regsvc.exe

MSTask.exe

nopdb.exe

usrbridg.exe

WinMgmt.exe

MsPMSPSv.exe

svchost.exe (running twice???)

ZipToA.exe

ADService.exe

mdm.exe

Explorer.exe

devldr32.exe

NclConf.exe

ImgIcon.exe

MPAPI3s.exe

ADUserMon.exe

AcroTray.exe

NAVAPW32.exe

alertsvc.exe

Phew! right thats all of them, How do i roll back my version of Direct X??