Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JMD

A friend of mine need some help with this. Thanks

I have 3 computers and all 3 are hooked up to a router. 2 computers are windows 98 and the 3rd one is windows XP. I want to share files from one computer to the computer with windows XP.

How do I go about doing that?

I have gone as far as allowing the computer that I am trying to get the files off of, to share files, and I can see that the computer is in the workgroup in my other computer that I want the files to go to. But it won't let me access it, I get an error message saying it is not assessable.

I don't know anything about networking or file sharing, so I was hoping that someone can help me..

Thank You

First, you need to install and enable file and printer sharing. In windows 98, you open the control panel, choose network, the add button, add service, microsoft, and file and printer sharing. You'll need to reboot after installing this, go ahead and do so. When windows 98 loads, you will want to create some new shares. right click on a folder that you want others to have access to, and choose sharing. Set the permissions accordingly. On windows xp, this is a little different, but close enough where you can use the same directions. Also, if winxp offers to create a network disk, do so, and run that disk on each non-xp machine that is on the network. After doing so, you should have access to the appropriate shares.

Thank you very much for your help adamvjackson

I sent her the info

Cheers smile