Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DragonZeal

Which Windows for my system?

I would like to know which Windows I use best for my system.

I play games, watch dvd's, browse the internet, do some office work and listen to music.

Should I do windowsupdate after the installation?

If your computer is just a stand-alone pc, and not part of a network, XP Home should be just fine. If your pc is part of a network, I'd recommend either Windows 2000 or XP Professional.

It will be in a network.

Primary for gaming and sharing downloaded movies.

So should I still install XP Home?

Later there will be a server should I use WinXP Pro or Win2k Pro?

If you're going to have a domain controller, then you will need either 2k or XP Pro, as Home will not connect to a domain. If you plan on just having a workgroup set up, home edition will be just fine. With a workgroup, however, you are limited to a max of 10 pcs in that workgroup. If you think you will exceed that, you really would need a dedicated domain controller and 2k/XP pro.

Well, I run 2k pro on all my machines, and I think it's just great. However, if you're buying a new os, then it's generally best to get the newest, as far as lifetime roi (return on investment). XP will be supported longer than 2k, this is inevitable, so that's why. If you already have a license for 2k that isn't in use, then by all means I recommend 2k... It's just that if you have to buy a new license, buy the latest.

Look I have Win98Se Nl and WinXP Pro Nl original.

So they are in dutch.

But I don't want the dutch version because almost everything is in English.

So I'm having a doubt between 2K Pro and XP Home.

The activation is not really an isue because I intend to install once en then make a backup. I will not change any hardware anymore.

I have a second PC a AMD tbird 1.2 with 1Gb SDRAM so I probably going to use this one as a little server but in the mean time also for network gaming.

I think Win 2k pro is $150CAD more expensive than XP Home if you want to buy it as OEM. if you don't care about the money go with XP Pro which costs as same as 2k Pro.

you can do the math from here!!!!