Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SwashbucklerDude

Playing games while in school - ports blocked

Hey all,

I am trying to help a friend out. This friend is in college right now and last semester was able to play games (like Warcraft, Counter-Strike...etc.) while on the school network.

Some people ruined it for others. While playing these games doesn't take up a huge amount of bandwidth, downloading stuff from WinMX and Kazaa does. The school IS dept has blocked all ports above 1024 because of the people downloading LARGE items from Kazaaa mainly.

Is there a way to funnel games like Counter-Strike which use ports 27010-27016 out on a lower port. I've tried setting up CS to use like port 53 which is open on his schools end, but that don't work.

I totally understand where the school is coming from, but come on...this kid lives in a dorm at school for 3 months.

He needs a break after a weeks worth of classes. It would be nice to play a game or two with him, seeing as he is like 900 miles from me....

Any ideas at all are appreciated. laugh

What operating system is your friend running? I believe he will essentially need to set up a proxy server on his machine, and pass all the ports to the proxy.

He's using WinXP pro on his main box, and he has an extra box with Win2k pro on it. He could load linux or whatever on his Win2k pro box if needed.....

Thx laugh

Hahahaha... port 53 is DNS server... that won't work, even if you could get CS to use it...

My advice... if you're going to use ports below 1024, make sure you don't use standard ports... otherwise you might disrupt someone's network connectivity on the opposite end!

--Vermyndax

I know port 53 is DNS. It will work for certain things....just not CS.

He's using port 53 for AIM right now smile

I know what ports I can and cannot use. I'm simply trying to find another way.

Never mind. He just needs to schmooze the IT guys!

Thanks anyway....