Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EddiE314

PS/2 Mouse Problems

having problems with a ps/2 version of a microsoft intellimouse (ball), no matter what type of mouse i install it as it still acts wierd.

here's the story...

everytime i restart the computer, i get back to the logon screen and the mouse goes ape-shit, i unplug it and plug it back in, it works fine....well, almost...the scroll wheel doesn't. but i hate having to constantly unplug/replug it due to wear and tear on the ps/2 port. thanks in advance.

Running Redhat Linux 8.0, Kernel 2.4.18-14, KDE 3 on an i686

P.S. fonts look like sh1t in mozilla, if my spelling sucks, blame it on sh1tty fonts.

Just take your time, everytime the Xserver resets aka everytime you log in or login as a different user from a previous session just wait. It should only take about 10 seconds from the time you see the mouse before you should use it. If this does not help at all then you might want to double check your mouse configuration.

Quote:
P.S. fonts look like sh1t in mozilla, if my spelling sucks, blame it on sh1tty fonts.

You can change your fonts in Mozilla by going to the Edit menu, then select the preferences at the bottom of the menu. The dialog box will show up, then select the "Apearance" item at the top left of the 'tree'. The Fonts are at the top of the new 'tree'. There are five fonts selected change them to whatever ones you have on your system. These are called:

Proportional
Serif
Sans-serif
Cursive
Fantasy
Monospace

I'm not real sure what they are for, but you can change them any time you want. Just be sure not to use a font that is all symbols...
(It is a good idea to write down the current settings so that if you choose a really bad font that becomes unreadable you can still change back...) 8)

Quote:
everytime i restart the computer, i get back to the logon screen and the mouse goes ape-shit, i unplug it and plug it back in, it works fine....well, almost...the scroll wheel doesn't

well i havent ever setup a mouse with scroll wheel. so okay its like ur mouse has one left button, one right button and a scroll wheel in middle. do u remember when u installed linux did u select a 2 button mouse or a 3 button mouse? i`m not sure but i`m very much doubtful that the mouse ur using is a 3 button mouse.

and yeah try the advice of Maillion for setting up the fonts in ur mozilla.

ps/2 optical mouse with scroll wheel and 3 buttons.(scroll wheel can be clicked like a button )

installed as a 3-button mouse,mandrake 9.1

mouse worked fine till I re-configured left button to show main menu .

now log on is fine,but mouse cursor is not visible.

moving the mouse does have random effects.