Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

To DOS Freak, question about DOS DPMI Modules

Hey DosFreak, I was browsing a site called Vogons, http://vogons.zetafleet.com and I noticed that the forums had some talk about DOS extenders. Do you know of a way to get a Borland DPMI program to work under Windows NT? There is this old Doom editing utility called DCK (Doom Construction Kit), http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=7844 which will only run under DOS and if you try to execute it under Win32 it says "This DPMI module cannot run under Win32." Any ideas on this?

Interesting....It actually stated that error? Is the DPMI integrated into the main executable or is it in the directory? Just find it funny that they programmed it to detect Win32 so it must be a fairly recent prog for a Doom prog....

Win32's been around for a while though, hasn't it? It was present in NT 3.1 which was in development since the 80s (NT has it's origins in Microsofts development of OS/2. You might have noticed that OS/2s HPFS shares it's partition ID with NTFS.).

The DPMI is in the EXE I believe, when I try to run DCK32.EXE its says that this DPMI module cannot run under Win32. There is also another file in the directory called 32rtm.exe but I don't know what that does. I tried setting the PIF properties and selected prevent MS-DOS based programs from detecting Windows, but that didn't work, I am trying this under 98. Under 2000 I get the same error.

Yep, Win32 was designed for Winders 3.1....about the same time as Doom.

So your getting this error both in 9x DOS (in Windows) and NTVDM in NT?

Why not just use it in 9x REAL DOS mode? wink (It's probably easier for ya to use in NT so I shouldn't have asked....)

Try Connectix VPC and see if that works for ya. I do not have an answer for ya at the moment except for trying to email the author of the prog.

I tried Connectix VPC awhile back but upon execution of the program, (DCK32) VPC either locks up or acts funny and then eventually craps out, strange program I tell you. The error does occur in both Windows 9x DOS Box, (tried under 95B, 98, 98SE, and ME) and Winnt Command Prompt (2000 and XP). It will work in 9x Restart in DOS Mode or if I select Command Prompt from the 9x menu. It will also work with the Windows ME boot disk. I'll see if I can get ahold of the author.

Try VPC without EMM386 or any other Memory extender program. They usually cause havoc with DPMI programs.

Quote:
I tried Connectix VPC awhile back but upon execution of the program, (DCK32) VPC either locks up or acts funny and then eventually craps out, strange program I tell you. The error does occur in both Windows 9x DOS Box, (tried under 95B, 98, 98SE, and ME) and Winnt Command Prompt (2000 and XP). It will work in 9x Restart in DOS Mode or if I select Command Prompt from the 9x menu. It will also work with the Windows ME boot disk. I'll see if I can get ahold of the author.

how about vmware
vmware has worked well for me

Yeah I'll try VMWARE too, first thing is I need to get my 2000 Install up and running first, I am reorganizing my PC.

Both VMWare and Virtual PC give this message:

32rtm error, could not initialize DPMI32VM.OVL

I tried this under a MS-DOS 6.22 Virtual PC on both PCs.

Also modifying the autoexec.nt and config.net yields the same result, this module cannot run under Win32.

Odd, it's like the program is missing some files...

DO you see any DOS4GW/DPMI messages when you start the program?

Is there any DPMI/DOS4GW executables in the program directory?

DO you see any DOS4GW/DPMI messages when you start the program?

> Nope

Is there any DPMI/DOS4GW executables in the program directory?

The only executables are DCK32.EXE and 32rtm.exe, I believe 32rtm.exe COULD be some sort of DPMI module. Try downloading the program and see for yourself how stubborn it is under Win32. Whats frustrating is that this isn't even a DOS game. smile