Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

:-( Copywrite Infringement

what a joke!!

Code:
http://www.despair.com/demotivators/frownonthis.html DALLAS, TX - January 2nd, 2001 - In a move that has millions across the Internet community frowning, Despair, Inc. today announced that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) had awarded them a registered trademark for the 'frowny' emoticon which serves as their logo. At a press conference, Despair's COO, Dr. E.L.Kersten, announced his intentions to sue "anyone and everyone who uses the so-called 'frowny' emoticon, or our trademarked logo, in their written email correspondence. Ever." Despair filed suit yesterday in a U.S. District Court in Dallas, alleging trademark infringement against over 7 million individual Internet users. The company has requested separate injunctions granted against each. It is believed to be the largest single trademark dispute in history. According to USPTO records, Despair originally filed for the mark in June of 1998, and was awarded a registered trademark for the 'frowny' emoticon logo on May 2nd of this year. Since that time the company has, through the use of the FBI's controversial new "Carnivore" Internet wiretapping system, surreptitiously monitored unencrypted Internet email and compiled a list of over 7,000,000 individuals who have used the ":-(" emoticon in email. Compliance with the injunction will require the defendants to provide to the court and Despair, Inc. a report, in writing under oath, setting forth in detail the manner and form in which the defendant has complied with the injunction to destroy any email in which they have used the offending mark. Despair has also petitioned the court to require defendants to submit a handwritten letter which repeats the phrase ":-( is a registered trademark of Despair, Inc." one-thousand times. A ruling on the petition is expected within a week. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY SPE[censored]TS STUNNED The decision to award Despair, Inc. with a registered trademark for the :-( symbol left many in the field of intellectual property law stunned. Suzanna Larkow, I.P. spe[censored]t of Larkow, Madley & Associates, said of the issuance, "This is a defining moment in the history of intellectual property law. To extend official registration to an emoticon, one who's common usage predated the existence of the trademark holder by several years, defies common sense and establishes a dangerous precedent." Albert Firkus, co-editor of IP Monthly, offered a less dire assessment of the grant, "Whether the issuance is a dangerous one remains to be seen. What is certain, however, is that it appears that someone has finally bested patent 5443036 for most ridiculous intellectual property filing in history." Despair's controversial trademark action is only the latest in an ongoing series of high-profile intellectual property disputes. Amazon.com courted enormous controversy after being awarded patent protection for their "1-Click" ordering system, which allowed registered customers to place orders without having to rekey their credit card information. Critics protested that "1-Click" did not merit patent protection. Most argued that it fails to meet the necessary standard of being "unique, specific and non-obvious" because it relies so heavily on the commonly used (and unpatented) technology of "http cookies". Larkow saw striking parallels in the actions of Amazon and Despair. "They are legally equivalent, unique only insofar as one is a patent and the other, a trademark. HTTP cookies have been commonly used by programmers since Netscape introduced them years ago, yet Amazon has received a patent for one. Emoticons have been in circulation even longer, yet Despair has trademarked one. That Despair was inspired by Amazon's move seems obvious, given that they even included a reference to the date of Amazon's patent in their 2001 Calendar." "AN INNOVATIVE STAND" For his part, E.L. Kersten acknowledged being inspired by Amazon's legal manueverings and had nothing but praise for founder Jeff Bezos at the press conference. "Once again, Jeff has proven to be a true innovator. He's really inspired a new movement in the dotcom universe- frivolous, destructive intellectual property lawsuits. I couldn't be happier to be a part of the revolution." ABOVE: Kersten and one-time enemy Kim Polese treat Jeff and Mackenzie Bezos to dinner to honor Amazon's "innovative stand against innovation". Kersten informed reporters he had personally taken Jeff Bezos and his wife to dinner, to congratulate him on his willingness to "take a innovative stand against innovation", and also to inform him that Bezos was amongst the 7,000,000 who had violated Despair's trademark. According to Kersten, Bezos burst into his "terrifying" trademark guffaw before letting fly a litany of obscenities and storming out of the restaurant. Kersten then intoned gravely, "Let our message to trademark violators be clear. Whether you are a 4th grade nothing using your momma's AOL account, or you are Time Magazine's "Man of the Year", we are going to hunt you down, and when we do, we're really going to give you something to :-(® about." KERSTEN CONSIDERS NAME CHANGE Kersten concluded the already baffling conference with yet another surprise announcement. He is seriously considering changing his name from Edward Lawrence Kersten to simply ":-(". "The idea of having a name which so succinctly symbolizes unhappiness has enormous appeal to me." Kersten said he had made no firm decisions yet but warned reporters not to plan to call him "the C.O.O. formerly known as Kersten" if he decided upon the change. As the conference abruptly ended, Carla Pitt, manager of Despair's Customer Disservice™ Department, was overheard to remark, "Would this finally mean we can finally call him "Colon" to his face?"

My thoughts:

did the writer of that article have the right to use that?

Also, if they used the carnivore program or anything like it, they were invading the personal rights of individuals by reading their email - COUNTER LAW SUIT!!!

also is it just the text smiley? or the actual frown as welll crap? if so, there are SO many variations of that they can not copy right them all, as diff people made each version. so good luck u greedy bastards. The company is probably going under, and they need to sue to get the money.

So, i guess i can just have a longed nose smiley :--(

also, did they "invent" that? if not the actual creator who ever did, can sue their arses!!! U CAN DO IT!

What if i do it in a "different" font? did they copy right what fonts as well?

what if i put extra spaces in it?

: - (

- it is now NOT the same as what they have, therefor it can not be considered "copying"

PLUS! the fact that it was not until RECENT they got the claim for this patent, therefore anyone who used this emoticon PREVIOUS to the copyright being made official can NOT be sued 9to my knowledge).... as they did not know .....

I think you're getting slightly bent out of shape there. Ofcourse it's a joke.

There's also a website somewhere that claims to own the : ) smiley, and they were selling them off. The price was $0.00, but not everyone got it. There were loads of complaints from people who couldn't tell it was a joke.

I just tried searching for the site but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else has a link to it?

In the meantime you'll have to excuse me, as I am also off to patent some ridiculous things, including a vast range of other unclaimed smilies laugh

AHHAHAHHAAH!

shiet, i did not even ge tthrough the disclaimer!!>.lol

just this did not suprise me, since people have been trying to do thisd lately..lol