Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

tv-out on graphic cards

Well, looks like it's time to replace the Geforce 2MX, fan died on it and it just seems to be crapping out lately. What I want to know is how are the TV Outs on the GF3-4, ATI cards? The GF2MX was pretty crappy and wondering if it improved with the current versions. I read that SIS's Xabre had really nice tv-out.

Well anyways, just looking for a cheap card and tv-out is the most important feature i'm looking for.

I personally don't use the composite/s-video out on my card, (Geforce4 ti440) but from what I remember, the Nvidia reference design uses a philips chipset, which is supposed to be a big improvement. I'll pull open my case in the morning and make sure it's a philips, but I believe it is.

ATI is known for it's T.V - out , it is FAR superior then Nvidia - to me

<--- have used / owened the All in wonder 32mb / radeon 7000 / radeon 8500DV (64mb ) all in wonder

and an G4 4600 ultra i currently have.....

ATI cleans Nvidia's clock when it comes to T.V OUT! hands down, no questions asked!

and do ALOT of T.V out use both games and vcd / divX the whole nine yards. - Why buy a DVD player when my comp is so close to my t.v anyways laugh

Also, what matters is how old your t.v is smile but either way ATI!

also, ATI i am sure uses the Phillips TV Tuner - not sure about the T.V out - shall see what i can find.

The GF4MX cards have a TV coder integrated into the GPU (like the ATI cards I believe) so they're supposedly able to deliver good TV-out. They also do MPEG-2 decoding in hardware if you want to watch DVDs they're worth considering also. Unfortunately, since the GF4MX is little more than a riced out GF2 gaming performance isn't as good as a full-blown GF4.

If your ti4400 is VIVO then it will have a philips chip smile The Video in only cards have slightly better quality as they use the conexant chip, but in reality tv-out is pretty bad no matter how you look at it laugh

I prefer ATi also when it comes to this, im sure you could get a Radeon 9000/9700 for a good price, well the 9000 anyway smile You might even wanna look into the 7xxx series as they also have good TV-Out, but obviously youll lose 3d performance.

The only complaint that i really had with my ti4400 was that it wouldnt let me run a TFT and the TV at the same time, it had to be a normal monitor on the VGA connector + TV. The 9700 now lets me do this and i find the ATi ones easier to setup smile

The TV Out on the ATI Radoen 9700 Pro is superior to my Leadtek GF4 Ti4600... Unsure what thebest card for a cheap price would be.... Definetly get anything other than an MX if your going Nvidia. Preferably a GF4 Ti4200, you can find those for real cheap. The ATI Radeon 9000 may be an option for ya.

So far the 9700 is nice but you can still tell that they still have driver problems but for a person who doesn't do TONS of stuff with his computer and wouldn't notice the oddities or get pissed of because a game doesn't support a feature that ATI should have enabled in it's drivers mad then the ATI 9000 should be fine. smile

Hey m8

what Kind of T.V u using anyways?

a regular old t.v?

Or a nice new HDTV that has like 1900 x resolution, were as old t.v i think have like 380 x something resolution, even if you set your card to like 800 x 600, it is only "emulating" that, and not actually showing it (as my smart electronic friend told me) - although it looks dioff, to me when i set it to 640 x 480, or 800x 600.

I used mine the most on a 27' Sony trinitron - and it always looked good, of course that was based on the source of the video smile although i often ran my ATI tv tuner (cable in) out to my T.V just to compare, no complaints at all smile

With My Geforce 4600 - when i put on dual display with my T.V - i can not have media player or Power DVD on the TV side playing a movie, while i do something else on my actual monitor. - it just shows as a black screen frown - never had this issue with ATI - likely just something i am doing wrong.

Quote:

I've got a fan from a GeForce 4 Ti4600 if you want it... $5 plus cost of shipping (that way if the card is not toast, you can resell it to get some of the cost of a new card)...

Up to you, email me... should not cost you squat on shipcost, the thing is feather lite and works fine still!

* smile

APK

Nah, I got an old cpu fan hooked up to it right now, heh...but the TV-Out is broke on it anyways so I still need a replacement card. Besides, kinda pointless to have it ship internationally when I can just go down the street and pick one up, afterall Leadtek is a local company, thanks anyways

Quote:

Hey m8

what Kind of T.V u using anyways?

a regular old t.v?

Yah, just an old 29" Mitsubishi (maybe over 5 yrs old) I don't care about the quality as in to actually work on it thru the tv, I'm just using it to watch movies on.

Well, I'm about to head out and shop around...funny how things seems cheaper in the states than here even though they were all made here... ;(

Welp...looked around and they were wanting too much for the Radeon 9000 pro, US$114, ended up getting a Chaintech G4MX 440 64M DDR for $65 + a Logitech Steering Wheel $35 heh...i think it was $100 well spent

Quote:
With My Geforce 4600 - when i put on dual display with my T.V - i can not have media player or Power DVD on the TV side playing a movie, while i do something else on my actual monitor. - it just shows as a black screen frown - never had this issue with ATI - likely just something i am doing wrong.

Actually, I think you may be wrong, I think that the tv out is disabled during dvd playback for copyright reasons. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I had read that somewhere. Can anyone else confirm this?Thanks...

Yeah, some discs have macrovison protection to prevent you watching via a tv laugh

But if you download TV-Tool i beleve you can disable it. Only works for nvidia cards though, authough ive just been watching a dvd on the tv via tv out with no problem (ati card).

TV-Tool and/or TVCC2000 will only work on non-GF4 nViddia cards.

They cannot get the spec for the GF4 cards so cannot write the required interpreters for their programs.

Bad luck all those with GF4's.

hmm...i'm getting crappy scores on 3dmark, 3507 on default benchmark...is the bottleneck coming from my cpu/mem? 800mhz 384mb PC133 ? oh well...i'm gonna try and overclock the card

yah well...all the reviews have it scoring 5000+ so it just seems awkward

heh, even setting the bios to 'turbo' settings and overclocking the card 270 -> 330 MHz core, 400 -> 450MHz memory i only get 3703...damn i'm gonna take this card back and get a Geforce 3 Ti200 for an additional $23

ok, so what do you guys think, a Radeon 9000 Pro or a GF3 Ti200? Radeon is about $10 more than the GF3

If used solely for the tv output, go with the ATI, in my opinion. If used for an all-around graphics card with occasional tv output, go with the Nvidia. From what I can tell, ATI seems to have overall better tv output hardware. I am still a Nvidia fan, though...

Quote:
hmm...i'm getting crappy scores on 3dmark, 3507 on default benchmark...is the bottleneck coming from my cpu/mem? 800mhz 384mb PC133 ? oh well...i'm gonna try and overclock the card

First: 3DMark sucks
Second: What were the specs of the machines scoring 5000+?

Quote:

XP 2000 256DDR

went and traded the MX in for a MSI GF3 Ti-200 Pure, got 4326 on 3DMark ;(

Its just because your totally CPU limited, the ti200 is a much better card though so hang onto that 1 smile

Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I think you may be wrong, I think that the tv out is disabled during dvd playback for copyright reasons. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I had read that somewhere. Can anyone else confirm this?Thanks...

I can play a DVD fine if i use JUST my t.v smile i had heard about that and tested it .
but same, just shows a black screen if i try the monitor and the T.V. Makes no sense to me, like if that doesnot work, i will just use my TV and copy it to VHS or what ever that way smile or use my monitor, and rip it.

As for the G4mx - kew kew - goo way to split up $100 smile VrOoMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Quote:
Quote:

XP 2000 256DDR

went and traded the MX in for a MSI GF3 Ti-200 Pure, got 4326 on 3DMark ;(

like your meory and cpu

i got a p4 1.8 - but dam sony used pc133 memory, so it killed any scores i got, compared to thos with ddr.

as for the card

Get the ATI - it is better for OVERALL use. - Nvidia - Gamers card. - my opinion anyways. (also based on past experience)