Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GrippGoat

Win2k 2183 + TNT2 + SMP + Win2k 3.6x drivers = CRASH

Well, since Q3A came out, I've been wrestling with drivers.

I have:

Abit BP6 1.21 BIOS

2x300a OC to 450 2.0v nice and cool

256MB RAM

OEM Diamond TNT2

SBLive Value OEM (default win2k drivers)

Adaptec 2940U2W

9GB Atlas 10k

NetGear FA310TX (or something like that)

Anyway, my problem is that with all the 3.6x Win2k drivers, I get random lockups when launching some apps (notably aoe2 and q3a). 3.64 was pretty stable (I'd get a crash like 1 in 5 or something). But 3.65 crashed before it even finished booting. However, the drivers work perfectly at work, with a similar system config (retail diamond v770, p3 450 non o/c, asus p2 99, win2k 2183). So I'm guessing it's an SMP-related problem. However, I've never heard anyone else complain about random crashes with the 3.6x drivers.

I have to use the 2.01 NT5 drivers to get total stability, and even then I get cursor corruption once in a blue moon.

So if you've had a crash (or have had perfect stability) please let me know. I'd really like to run the 3.65 drivers since I've found out the trick of using the Win2k drivers and the NT4 opengl driver to get Q3A to work. 1280x960 rules, and 2.01 doesn't do it.

just use the aopen 210 drivers. They dont support d3d but if those are the only two games you play you will never get another crash again..i dont know which drivers the aaopen 210 are based on but they work.

i have pretty much the same config, v770 ultra with 2 366's at 550. i've had problems with ALL the detonator builds 3.5x and up. Always randomly crashing, sometimes a program will start fine, the next time it dies. Only the default win2k rc3 driver is worth a crap for me, it never locks up. Sigh, to have stable drivers and D3D, tis a dream.

I've got pretty much the same config as you minus the Adaptec card and i don't have too many problems. D3D is ok. It used to crash when I died in Rogue Spear but a RS patch fixed that and Quake 3 runs fine. I had a funny problem where only a small portion of the screen was being updated but I upgrades to 3.56 and all seems ok.