Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

What's the verdict on SP3, then?

It's been just over a month now since Win2K's SP3 was released. How many of you keen Win2K Pro users have installed it yet? If so, have you had any problems as a result? I'm wondering whether I should install it, myself.

And how many have read what it says at:

www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26698.html

and have (for whatever reason) declined to install SP3? Or, when it comes to Microsoft scanning your PC for information on the applications you run and suchlike, is it a matter of just being philosophical about it and accepting that that's how things are? After all, we already seem to accept this sort of thing when we call on Windows Update site.

Yeh, I'd like some feedback. Is it worth going ahead with installing SP3. My SP2, plus hotfixes, seems to work just fine.

I have installed it on 23 machines now including my own 4. I have only had one MINOR problem with a USB device that was fixed by reinstalling the drivers for it. I am very happy with SP3. It has solved about 4 issues on 6 different computers as well.

nice topic!

unfortunately, i had to wait portuguese version came out.

(i think i was the first brazilian to download it!) laugh

anyway, i integrated sp3 on windows instalation.

i could note some programs errors which never showed before.

now, with sp3, i think i'll must down my overclock.

i ran 3dmark without problems.

Installed it and it runs fine on Windows 2000 Pro and Server along with Advanced Server. Although I never had an issue with SP2 or SP1.

i haven't tried it yet but i have but i have been using .NET which has all of the fixes built in out of the box. I will be seting sp3 up on a laptop tomorrow I'll let chall know how it goes.

I don't think that it (.NET) had all the fixes out of the box. It's every other day that someone is reporting another security hole in even .NET framework and I.E. 6.X/7. It (.NET) is also a beta still with fully capable holes/caverns all on its own.

And considering the fact I just downloaded SP 2 for the net framework I would have to agree that it did not have all the fixes right out of the box!

S

I keep getting random re-boots, about 1-3 a day. I haven't yet felt like taking the time and reformatting the drive, although my anger-level is pushing me towards that.

.NET server is pretty sweet. If you get the chance to install it it's worth the time. Right now I am installing it on my main workstation after an IDE driver issue made XP a bit unhappy (I knew better, but it was time for a reconfigure so I thought "what the hell?" :)).

Quote:
I don't think that it (.NET) had all the fixes out of the box. It's every other day that someone is reporting another security hole in even .NET framework and I.E. 6.X/7. It (.NET) is also a beta still with fully capable holes/caverns all on its own.

This is true but it has all of the fixes that are simalar to win2k/xp.

I have been hearing lots of weird shit about sp3. Too bad I don't use win2k anymore cause I could have lots of fun with bugs and stop errors and NTLDR is missing and the like.

How much you wanna bet that XP SP1 goes smooth? ;(

I just heard that they are gonna repackage XP with slipstreamed SP1 and replace the previous ver of XP....Way to go MS! Wipe the memories of your beta OS from the public eye! winklaugh

Quote:
How much you wanna bet that XP SP1 goes smooth? ;(

I just heard that they are gonna repackage XP with slipstreamed SP1 and replace the previous ver of XP....Way to go MS! Wipe the memories of your beta OS from the public eye! winklaugh

XP allways worked great for me even since the alpha days

one of my fav builds was 2252 alpha when they had just introduced the watercolor theme.

Hmm well after the install of SP3 the system refused to unload the registry profile for my administrator account (and worked perfectly on revert to SP2). I think I'm getting there now... but it's still happening intermitently.

And I sometimes get an error whilst accessing the new program and access thingy in control panel.

I can live with these slight annoyances for the security benifit that SP3 (hopefully) provides.

Quote:

one of my fav builds was 2252 alpha when they had just introduced the watercolor theme.

Then you must have been one of the lucky ones, or maybe I've been extremely unlucky.

They have installed XP on some computers I have access to at my university and at one point in time they crashed almost once an hour. Try doing programming on one of those.

Service Pack 3... I had the same problem as another user with regards to the Promise PCI ATA/133 driver incompatibility... So this weekend, guess what? A format and reinstall with SP2.... smile

Quote:
Quote:

Then you must have been one of the lucky ones, or maybe I've been extremely unlucky.

They have installed XP on some computers I have access to at my university and at one point in time they crashed almost once an hour. Try doing programming on one of those.

I also stick to very good compatible hardware
I used a 440bx through most of the xp betas
now i am on an i840
Chipsets make a huge difference in stability of the system.

I personally liked the 440bx chipset better than the 81x... Seemed more stable, IMO, and didn't have the 512MB 81x limitation. I still have a 440bx based board, the Asus CUBX... with 1GB ram, used as a light server. Very stable.

I had some problems with SP3 (midi related). So I smacked in SP2 earlier today.