Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tessx

memory cannot be read error (0x0.....)

Help me! I get these messages with allmost every game I try to play on 2k! And worse, nobody seems to get these messages. ;( frown I have installed sp3 hoping it would change something and the problem is still here and the sp added 300megs to my hd. I heard that it's drwatson that creates these errors... Please tell me what to do

First things first, dr watson doesn't create these errors, it's just a debugging tool that pops up when your apps crash.

Perhaps you should try a clean SP3 integrated install. Then install the latest version of directX (8.1 i think).

Or it could be a hardware problem i dunno, but maybe other experts here can help you out.

Thanx but I saw this problem on 3 computers already so I'm not shure about a material problem. Maybe it does it only with Pro ?

I recently installed a copy of Win2k Server and got weird memory error messages with it, however my Win2k Pro install doesn't give me those errors so its just not Pro.

I just realized that i've got an oem version installed on the two computers that won't work... Maybe that's the problem !?

Wow ! And isnt there anyone else who's got this probs ?? This is weird frown

Hi

I can offer you nothing about your operating system but you may test your memory. Your memory may be working wrong. About four years ago we bought a pc to a friend and we had problems with games. When we were playing a game sometimes the game exits without an error message. And windows 98 runs normally just after that. Then we learned that the problem was RAM. After a change in RAM there was no problem 8) You can test your RAM by yourself with "Gold Memory". The adres of the program is: ftp.nvidia.pl /pub/Testery/GoldMemory.zip

The program runs at dos environment. I don't know any other information about the program.

I wish you don't have RAM fault.

I don't think that its a ram prob, altough i can't prove it because the url you gave me is dead. But this problem occurs on two computers so i dont think that it could be a ram fault. Anyway, I tried my version of 2000 on a freinds' computer and i'm getting the same errors... ;( I think it's my cd...(Is it possible because its'a french version?)

Or maybe it's that I'm not on ntfs ? Also, driver and rainbow six work fine on Me...

Try the large page minimum patch issued by AMD. Assuming you have an AMD processor.

sorry, don't have amd, but a p200 & a celeron 366... frown wish I had an amd smile

I'm going to check the mem with the app above...

I'll tell you more later smile

to dosfreak:

just one question, is it reliable ? It's just that I don't like the idea of creating a boot floppy and rebooting with it... Exept the games, my sys works fine, and would quite like it to work for some more time smile

Finally someone who has the same problems as ME!! (and posted on the same night!!)

I have memory read errors in games too, and some games eg SOF II crash to the desktop with no errors.

Unfortunatly no software updates I've ever installed (Windows SPs/Fixes, Drivers or Games Patches) have ever solved the problem, and the errors only seem to occur with the Windows 2000 family of OSes and nearly always with games (Lavasoft's Ad-Watch 2.5 is the only app I think of which has similar probs).

The odd thing is the system and OS are both rock solid aside these odd errors.

Couple of examples:

Application popup: Lemmings: [Paul] Watch out, there`s traps about : LEMMINGS.EXE - Application Error : The instruction at "0x002e2099" referenced memory at "0x05be2470". The memory could not be "read".

Application popup: Ad-watch.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x77e989d1.

I think the problems are likley to be RAM related (I have an AMD/VIA based PC with mixed RAM modules frown ). so I'll get a mem checker from one o the posted linked and post back with the results.

Memory exceptions can also come from a bad video card and/or video driver. Makes sense that memory errors would realize themselves mainly when trying to access games which use video memory extensively. Everybody always assumes it's O/S or physical memory. The 4 possiblities, in this order, are:

Video memory

Virtual memory settings

O/S

Physical memory (RAM) (not likely but possible)