Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jwl812

Getting XP Movie Maker moved to Win2k

I have Windows 2000 and XP Pro. I was wondering if anyone knows of a "way" to extract the Windows Movie Maker files from the XP CD so I can install it to Win2k? I am going to set up a machine strictly for video editing and I am going to use Win2k.

Hmmm, unsure of the .dll's that Movie maker may require. Simplest way is to copy the directory off of an XP install and copy it over to 2K. Execute it and then copy over any .dll's that the program may require. To get more indepth you'd have to check out the .inf's and try to find all of the files that go with the prog.

or

The Movie Maker update that just came out may be able to be extracted and run seperate without going through all of the above.

If its any consolation but the WinME version works fine if you dump it in Win2k.

PMISTRY, how did you "dump" it to Win2K? Is the setup.exe on the WinME CD?

Quote:
I am going to set up a machine strictly for video editing

Then why do you want Movie Maker? Do yourself a favour and get some real video editing software. Sonic Foundry Vegas Video (an oxymoron if you ask me...) is reported to be quite good but just about anything is better than Windows Movie Maker.

I've got Ulead VideoStudio 6 which is excellent, but for quick email and archiving I like the windows media format. I like the small files you can get with decent quality. Ulead does do Windows Media Format but it is slooooowwwwww at doing it.

The easiest way to dump it is copy it from a WinME install, its in a Movie Maker folder inside Program Files just take this folder and dump it into Windows 2000.

Just took a quick look at Windows Catalog.

Downloaded the Movie Maker update for XP.

Extracted the files in setup.exe

Extracted the files in mm12ex

Executed Moviemk.exe

It worked.

That's all I've done or am going to do since I don't like Movie Maker but it appears to work. smile

oh I did all this under Windows 2000 Pro SP3.

PS. Shouldn't this be under the 2K forum?

Don't forget to install the WMP 7.1 codecs in the included WMFDIST.EXE file. Just execute the main file no need to extract files.

Quote:
PS. Shouldn't this be under the 2K forum?

We forgetting something?

Quote:
DosFreak

laugh

(Like vB, phpBB also lets you move a topic while keeping a shadow link in this forum so no complaints about "Where's my topic gone?")

Quote:
Don't forget to install the WMP 7.1 codecs in the included WMFDIST.EXE file. Just execute the main file no need to extract files.

Why Stick with Media Player 7.1 codecs. I found a ripped install of Windows Media Player 8 to install on Win2k. Works fine on my pc.
I also got the windows media player 8 codecs from Microsoft and installed them to make sure that it would work okay. Works very well.

Hey, I get an error message when I try to run it. Did you guys put it in any special folder or do something I don't know about?