Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zoooom

Computer is dying

All of a sudden... slow hanging of programs... fan making wierd noises ( sounds like it speeds up then slows down over and over )... Then... os no boot. Reinstall os... everything seems fine.. Now slowing hanging and getting bsod's at random. Could this be a bad power supply? This literally just started I have made no changes whatsoever to the system. At first i thought maybe my os gone bad maybe by a virus or something.. Now Im convinced its hardware.

basic specs...

windows 2000

asus av7 333

mushkin pc2700 ddr ram

60 gig seagate baraccuda

fan is on the way out?

causing computer to get hot..and bsod's...i had that to. i put a big cabinet fan in my comp. and now its fine wink

I would agree with the last poster. If I were you, I would try a new PS and CPU fan. I would attribute the rev up and down of the fan that you here to dirt before I would say your power company was fluctuating their output that much.

Power fluctuations of +/- 15% are within "normal operating limits" (at least that's what our power company tells me!), so I don't think that's your problem.

It's unlikely to be the PSU - I would clean the CPU fan first, see if that helps, if not, swap it out with another - sounds like your weird crashes are due to an overheating CPU!

Rgds

AndyF

I'm gonna have to agree with Andy on this one. The fan noises and sluggish performance sound like a heat issue.

Blame the software first, then blame the hardware. Try downloading and installing the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers to see if they fix the crashing and rebooting. I was getting memory dumps with my Asus A7V and windows 2000 service pack three fixed that. So make sure you have the latest service pack installed as well. You might also look for flash bios updates for the board. If you still have problems, then try a different fan. If it doesn't help, try a different power cord then try a different AC outlet. If none of those have any effect, then try a different power supply. If that fails, then it's probably a system board or processor problem.

I said to check for an update for the flash bios because the board you have is still failry new and might still have some issues with the bios; possibly with voltage settings and so forth.