Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

Windows XP unable to work with a FAT32 hard drive

Dear folks,

this is weird. Its driving me nutts. I have a FAT32 formatted Quantum Fireball LM30 (27GB formatted) hard drive. Recently I upgraded to Windows XP only to find to my surprise that Windows XP thinks the hard drive failed and requires a format. It doesn't even assign it a drive letter. In the COmputer Managemenbt Console the only thing it would allow me to do is either delete the partition or format the drive.

I have just booted into Linux and mounted the drive and the drive works PERFECTLY. It reads/writes without a hitch. I am convinced this is a Windows XP problem. Can anybody please help?

This drive should work correctly under XP. There must be something XP doesn't like about your partition. Have you tried backing up the data then reformatting ?

Well the weird thing is the partition WAS working just fine in Linux. I backed up my data and reformatted and it works now. I just don't understand why it didn't work before since Linux had no problem reading/writing to it smile

I recently had a 'similar' problem with one of my HDD's. Although it was ntfs, it operated flawlessly and was useable in xp. Then I did a chkdsk /f on it and chkdsk reported that the drive had problems with it. By backing up the HDD it went through almost the entire disc, only 2 GB outta 30 were free. And after a format, the chkdsk /f reported no errors. Even tried again after data was restored and its still working fine.

LOL ntfs can be a B**** some times. It is waaaaay better than FAT32 mind you. The ONLY reason I use FAT32 is I want to have read/write capability in Linux. If Linux would fully support read/write to NTFS without risking ruining the drive (and files) I would definately use NTFS.

Anyways, thanx for all the replies and suggestiions everyone. They are indeed much appreciated laughsmile