Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
godboy8069

windows xp wont shutdown it just restarts whats wrong?help

That kind of stuff is not tolerated here, nor is it necessary to bribe people to get help. If you want help, just give us more details so we can try to track down the problem.

There must be a failure happening at the time of shutdown, and Windows is set by default to automatically reboot on system failure.

Try to disable auto restart on failure (see System Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery), then maybe you'll get a better idea of what's going on.

For those that see these kinds of posts, just report them (as was done in this case today, thanks bud) and they can be fixed. Some of us have full time jobs and don't have the time to scan through every single thread.

I had that restarting problem with one of my systems and fixed it about a month ago. Turned out to be the power supply. I replaced it with the same thing and the restarting went away. Don't know if that helps, but it's something to toy with.

How old is your system?

Your motherboard might be set to use ACPI for power management, but Windows will assume you only have APM if it's an older motherboard. If ACPI is enabled in the BIOS, and Device Manager returns you have a "Standard PC" rather than "ACPI PC" then it's reinstall time.

Option A) Reinstall. Press F5 and choose ACPI when setup tells you to press F6.

Continue as normal.

B) Or switch BIOS to APM as well.

P.

Start | Control Panel | Power Option do you see the tab APM click on it then check that box.

I had that prob and fixed it. It just needed Windows to be reinstalled. I reinstalled it using the non-destructive feature(so I would not have to reinstall all of my programs). It happened because of a faulty driver or drivers(no that is not an error) that I I download from M$ Windows Update. Dam, laugh ;( Windows M$!!!!!