Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jerry Atrik

Guys: I need a Quake III timedemo Demo for 1.31 build of Q3!

The Audigy does require less CPU overhead, but the change might be minimal (<10fps) and not worth it. Mine did go up when I went from a SB Live MP3+ to my Audigy Platinum, but it was around 8fps or so if I remember correctly.

From benchmarks that I have seen the Live! is a PCI hog and CPU cycle eater at times. Maybe an Audigy would help? No?

An SB16 PCI is a pretty basic sound card, you might like a new sound board, while the Live is a PCI hog and the like it adds some great EAX effects to some games and even games that don't support it. Great MIDI too for those old classic games like Heretic and Doom, compared to the cheap FM synth on the SB 16. Trust me you will be amazed by the MIDI.

I highly recommend you get the Audigy, good MIDI and no problems with Windows 2000 or XP from most users. The updated SB Live drivers from Creative really fixed all the bugs that I had with XP.

Quote:
I highly recommend you get the Audigy, good MIDI and no problems with Windows 2000 or XP from most users. The updated SB Live drivers from Creative really fixed all the bugs that I had with XP.

Hell, I have an Audigy with a pure VIA board and XP with no problems.

laugh

Quote:
* If I go for a new soundcard to get more outta games sound-wise, this Audigy looks like it is the one to go with!

Indeed, I upgraded from an SB Live! and I dont know if I did notice a difference (I think I did at least wink ) but you get a firewire port and a great sound card for $100 CAD. I had way less problems (0 to be honest) with this card compared to the Live!, and this is an OEM card as well. The card and a cd is all I need plz!

I am an absolute stickler for sound quality and this board does not disappoint in that arena either.

OK, fresh install of .NET server and Q3A with the 40.xx dets, I get 160fps with 8x aniso and 200fps without aniso. This is with my revised rig:

P4 1.6A@2.4GHz (16x150MHz FSB) Northwood with stock heatsink and VCore Intel HSF

SOYO Dragon P4S Ultra (SiS 645 Chipset)

1GB PC2700 (DDR333) Mushkin DDR-DRAM (Running in DDR333 Mode)

Dual WD 80GB HDs (with 8MB cache) in RAID 0 using the onboard HPT 372 controller

Samsung 5x DVD/32x CD Drive

Plextor 40/12/40A CD Burner

GeForce 4 Ti 4600, 128MB

Onboard C-Media 6-Channel Sound

Onboard USB 2.0 with 5.25" Drivebay I/O

Onboard Highpoint UDMA/IDE RAID Controller (33/66/100/133)

Radius 19" Monitor (Trinitron AG CRT)

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

MS Intellimouse Explorer

SanDisk USB Compact Flash Reader

Spacetec SpaceORB 6DOF Game Controller

I just got the new drives, so I installed them tonight and reinstalled .NET and a couple of apps and games.

Yeah, those were it. I was running a single 100GB WD with 8MB cache before on WinXP. Also, my own config had the simple console (no 3D head and ammo models) and no gibs shown (not to mention some other stuff) which might be why I got the higher score. I have some more fiddling to do.

Also, just now I ran a quick timedemo while running SQL Server, Outlook, Newsbin Pro (while it's downloading), 3 sessions of IE (one downloading the Analysis Services SP for SQL 2K), and Trillian and I still get 185fps in 1024x768@32 bit with everything maxed. Not too shabby.

OK, new bench with dets 40.41

Same set up as previously. 2d stuff in the bottom of the screen to get some more fps without touching quality.

- no aniso, no antialias : 204 fps

- aniso x8, antialias 4, texture sharpening : 113

- aniso x8, quincunx antialias, texture sharpening : 165

These new detonators rock; the new control panel (à la 3dfx tools) is great. Texture sharpening (new feature) + antialias is the perfect combination!