Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedStar

Seriously --anything wrong with using XP's compatibility DB?

How do I this? What files do you need, is this using WinXP's compatibility database inside Win2k?

i have not done it yet...just been assessing what might be impacted.

But yes, i am suggesting you take the contents of the appPatch in WINxp

(dlls 2 because they seem to contain the extra fixes XP has)

and transfer them to the win2k appPatch directory (after backing up win2k's files there)

Win2k has a few not listed in XP which would have to be custom added back... like explorer (though i'm not sure why a core part of win2k had to be made compatible with itself).

Sooner or later i will try this. However, i hope that Jerry tells us how he did it. :))

Won't work. The .dll's that access the .sdb's are OS specific relying on dependencies not available in 2k. Bets solution for now is to use the Compat database to view the XP .SDB, write down the fixes that XP applies and then using Qfixapp apply these fixes to your games in 2K.

the problem with that is i have some games that need fixes XP has but win2k's 133 fixes do not cover.

there also seem to be some specialty patches for some games...

frown

i prefer win2k to XP by far.

Its just a couple old games XP can do now but wink can not.

I'm not losing sleep over this (well not much wink

*shrugs*

Whatever...

I still fail to see the point in persisting with an older OS when a newer one has even the slightest chance of solving your problem unless your the masochistic type...

Why installer a "newer" OS when you could most likely get your games working with the old quite easily? Compatibility across the board instead of worrying about new "features" introduced by a "newer" OS.

2K is 2yrs 8months old.

XP is almost a year old.

Get the picture?

i would also point out that win2kpro supports 2 CPUS.

WinXP does NOT!

i would have to spend extra money and get XP advanced.

The true upgrade path for win2k is XP advanced NOT XP pro. smile

the XP interface is dumbed down which may not be a bad thing. But i like to control more aspects of my O/S smile

Sure XP has more "features" thrown in. However, I already have burner software, for example, and do not need XP's stripped down version. smile

Stability/SPeed (XP vs win2k) performance --I have seen conflicting info on this and have not come to my own conclusion on this yet.

XP is the chosen O/S now and so will get more support. For that reason alone, i will probably upgrade in a year. smile

I agree with you RedStar, I really wish either MS or some game companies [yeah EA I am talking to you] would release some unofficial patches or something so we can have a hassle free install of some games on 2000.

A quick question a game like High Stakes, how does XP not have a problem installing it but 2000 does? How do I get it to install without fiddling with it, just wanna pop the CD in and install it and play it.

smile high stakes is one of the games i was talking about.

interesting that win2k now has a fix for the 3d data component but NOT the rest of high stakes.

Seriously i just don't understand why MS did not release the same fixes for win2k as XP.

My cynical mind say that they want to continue to have us believe that win2k is really a business platform while trying to get us to upgrade to XP.

I have no basis for this conclusion and i am still hoping MS will update the database soon. That to has no basis.

Quote:
i would also point out that win2kpro supports 2 CPUS.

WinXP does NOT!

You sure about that? Check here. And I quote:
Quote:
Supports up to 4 gigabytes (GB) of RAM and up to two symmetric multiprocessors.

WinXP Pro can handle 2 cpu's just as well as Win2K Pro. On the other hand, WinXP Home is limited to one cpu, but why would you limit yourself like that?

And what is this "XP advanced" you're talking about?

obviously i got my flavours mixed up...

we both know there were only 2 XP flavours and obviously 1 did not support 2 cpus..the cheaper one.

BUt if ya feel ya got to take a cheap shot fine...i deserved it for not getting my flavours right. smile

Sorry RedStar, that came out harsher than I intended... I just wanted to stop a misconception before it spread any further.... No hard feelings? laugh

the problem with high stakes -at least for me--

is that the *_mp file referenced is a tempory file generated during setup (at least thats my conclusion).

In the app tool kit you have to reference the file. But its not there yet.

I can't see a place to copy the fix. Or, to reference the file without browsing to it. Obviously the fix got there somehow.

So how do you apply the fix before the game is installed??

Also the ability to delete compat. fixes in the main database is greyed out. So how do get around that?

Honestly, if someone could just create a fix for Need For Speed: High Stakes, and Need For Speed 2 SE using XP's database for Windows 2000 and share it for everybody, we could all be happy.

hi..this posting is old...thos at the time were able to get high stakes working..including me. Its run very well 4 me under win2k since.

In my case, the final thing i had to do was change a video card setting in the registry. I was thrown off by the fact that my video card was properly detected and so i thought i did not have to alter the setting.

But i did.

I can't remember exactly now...so i will have to look for the other thread and point you to it.

Edit: look here...

http://www.ntcompatible.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22255&highlight=speed