Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
embj

ATTN:DOSFREAK----Stand-by & Hibernation Error

I have put my HP XT-983 to sleep and when I want to get it to wake up it says that Windows was shut down because of physical memory dumping? I have sent an error report to Microsoft several times regarding this issue. It says on the OCA website that it is due they think it is regarding software or hardware that is installed on my system. I formatted my hard drive recently. Before I formatted it I did not have this problem. I had the same programs installed before as I do now?

Hmmmm, any bios flashing done recently?

Also look for the HIBERFIL.SYS file on your HD and delete it.

(It's a hidden, system file so you'll have to configure your view to view it)

Now try to hibernate.

Also right-click on "My Computer" go to properties, then advanced, now to startup and recovery. Uncheck "automatically reboot". This will show a BSOD instead of just rebooting your computer. Write down the error when shutting down.

I flashed my Samsung SD-612B DVD-ROM. Since then the DVD-ROM did not work and it took away CD-RW drive in My Computer and would not read it. Then I formatted my HD. The CD-RW was still missing. So I put in an old spare CD-ROM and it took away my second hard drive. Maybe that is the problem? I also did everything else that you said to do exepct that I could not find hiberfil.sys on my HD. I changed my viewer so that I could view hidden files. Also I did a search on it and I still did not find it. I am going to put the computer to sleep and see what it does now. I will post the error later. cool

It looks like you have a HW problem.

Have you tried restoring the bios to your DVD if you have saved it b4?

I would check the jumper settings on your CD rom drive. make sure it is set to slave.

I am supposing you do use IDE. oh and change your CDrW to Slave if set to Cable select.

I do not currently have the DVD-ROM hooked up to my PC. I do not have the BIOS. Also, I do not have the drivers for it because it did not come with any. It was opened box. Yes, it is IDE. Also, the CD-RW is in the master slot.

Sorry about this. It posted automatically before I had a chance to finish typing.

This is what I see on the BSOD:

A problem has been detected an Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If this is the fisrt time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears agian, follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware manufacturer for any Windows Updates you might need. If the problems continue, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007A (0xE196C914, 0xC000000E, DxBF80B35F, 0x065D3860)

***win32k.sys - Address BF80B35F base at BF800000, Datesamp 3b7de698

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Are you overclocking that Athlon?

Are you running the memory past it's specs?

I am not overclocking it or running the memory past its specs.

Try underclocking and/or increasing your memory timings.

Also Hmmm, remove the IDE devices you added. CDR/CD/DVD? and try your hibernation.

Are you sure that you did not update your drivers different from before your format?

I tried to use a program to optimize my memory yesterday, it made my system unstable and it locked up frequently. Sometimes it would have a high CPU usage that was as high as 98% and caused my computer to lock up for a few secs. I am sure that I did not update my drivers before formatting. The drivers was why I formatted it. The drivers from Windows Update screwed it up. I also disconnected my DVD before I formatted and I have not used it since. The only thing that I have added so far since I bought this computer a month ago was a 128mb stick of RAM and a second hard drive. I also had that before I formatted. I do not know how to underclock and increase my memory timings.

That might be the problem but, I do not think that is it because the stand-by and hibernation worked before I formatted the HD. I have a memory status checker and it says that the DIMM that I put in it has an error on it. Maybe that is the problem. I put some of my memory that I had in my old comp. in someones elses comp. and the comp. did not boot up. It was the right memory. It just did not like it. Will let you know any other information that I find out.

I bought a new 256mb stick of RAM and replaced the one that I previously put in it. I left the one that came standard on it. Now with the new stick of RAM the hibernation and stand-by works! YAY! laughsmilelaughsmile