Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dgcartel

New to Win2k

At the place I work I have a user that since day one has been working on windows 95/98 machines (about 2yrs worth of it) and has a 98 machine at home...so all she knows is 9x...Here at the office we are slowly migrating everyone to win2k and winxp...she will be a win2k user...she is requesting something to read to get her comfy with win2k..any suggestions a whitepaper or something, no more than 60pages please. smile

From the perspective of an everyday user, Windows 2000 is exactly like Windows 98 (only more stable). She should be able to hop right in and find everything she is used to. The differences in Windows 2000 only become apparent when you start doing administrative tasks, like adding devices, changing users, etc.

Hmmm, reading will not really help unlesss she wants technical comparison's between the two OS'S...which I HIGHLY doubt if she has been using 9x for 2years *shudder*.

I recommend you plan a day to sit down with her and go through everything that she did on her 9x machine and perform the same operations on the 2k machine. That's the best way to do it. Considering that there may be other users on your network using this OS you may want to take the experiences that you had with this user and start a class for your company on their new OS. (If it was NT4-2K this would not be as necessary but still preferable but going from 9x to 2K you will need to teach your users)

Just skin her desktop for W98...

I remember seeing some desktop themes and icons for that. and she won't know the difference. smile

Reading, point and click is same in all. If you used win3.1 you can use the rest unlesss you are really retarded

Edit:

I forgot, you have to tech them how to terminate a process in case it crashes, how to log-in, log out and how to lock the terminal. It hink you can create such a paper in about 30 min's max.

That is all

Good advice from DosFreak.

What I would also do is write up a powerpoint presentation and a faq made from input from users that I would distribute back to users.

I would show this to my boss who maybe would think "hey, this guy is a real pro who brings value add to the company, let's think about some incentive for him, well, maybe" laugh

I would have done this loooooong ago since now I am the boss laugh