Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JP-

NVidia lookout: Here comes ATI Radeon 9700...

Well having owned pretty much every nvidia card since the TNT, i suppose you could have called me an nVidiot but then i jumped the bandwagon and got an 8500. Best card ive ever owned and i wish i hadnt sold it and got a gf4, but hey smile

Ill definatly be buying this r300, anyone want a ti4400 ? laugh

Quote:

How much?

Who were you asking that question to?

wink

Quote:
Really good read on this board... from what it sounds like on paper, ATI is ready to release what finally looks like a GeForce 4 Ti4600 "killer", bigtime!

Yeah, as if comparing next gen with current gen hardware would make any sense.

We´ll see how the next gen cards will perform against each other once every manufacturer has one out.

That's very impressive, but being the true nVidiot that I am, I hope that this will pressure nVidia into bringing the NV30 out sooner.

I haven't completely sold my soul to nVidia though... if the NV30 can't beat the r300, then I would be more than happy to buy an ATI card. However, even Anandtech says that the NV30 should be a step above even the r300...

Hardware might be the best/fastest/whatever to buy, but what´s it worth with crappy drivers?

ATI has crappy drivers, I will never buy one.

My cousin has an ATI, great card, but it freezes up every game he has at one random time or another with any drivers he uses.

I can see youve not actually used an ATi card recently. The drivers are now good.

1 more time....the DRIVERS ARE GOOD!

Im sure that back in the early rage days they were terrible, and i think that the way the MAXX users were treated with regards to NT support was pretty terrible. But the radeon 7500/8500 drivers are great, and ive had absolutly 0 problems with them.

We need to get rid of this stupid idea that radeon drivers are crap, cos they are not.

When youve used a 7500/8500, come back and tell me they are terrible, then ill beleve you. laugh

Don't think I'll be buying it.

I left for Class/Vacation March 3-May 4.

Bought some parts for my Computer:

GF4 Ti4600

Upgraded to PC2700 from 2400. Upgraded from 512MB to 1GB

Bought a 333 mobo.

Bought some wireless stuff.

I was then asked if I wanted to go to another class.

Left for this one on June 24th, and it will end on July 24th.

So I really only had about a week to play around with this hardware before I left. Seeing as how I've been burned by ATI in the past and I see how they regard their older products still, and the fact that Nvidia pay's EXCELLENT attention to their OGL ICD and their Linux drivers. Also the fact that the NV30 will most likely be more programable than the 9700 all leads me to wait for the NV30.....unless I get really really really REALLY gey bored and spot the 9700 laying around..then I might play around wid it 'till the superior NV30 comes out.

Who wants to place bet's that OGL v1.4 will be supported by Nvidia first and will work on all of their previous cards all the way back to the TNT1? I place $100 on the bet. ATI will probly get around to it a year after Nvidia does.

oh...I didn't even mention the power requirements of the 9700. Sorry but a card that cannot comply with the AGP spec SHOULD NOT BE BOUGHT. There are reason's why spec's are made...they are not made to be broken and bad things happen when they are. Ah, V5 series anyone? Required extra power AND it did not fit work on the i8xx series of Intel boards due to the spec.

Tsk, Tsk ATI. Trying to come too far too fast and breaking rules along the way. No, I redraw my statement on buying the 9700 if I get board. I might pick it up at the store to check it out and then return it but this card is definetly not to be used.

Quote:

I can see youve not actually used an ATi card recently. The drivers are now good.

1 more time....the DRIVERS ARE GOOD!
Very true - ok, so there were perhaps a few issues when XP was released, but after xmas ATI seemed to get their act together & it's been cool since then.
Quote:
Im sure that back in the early rage days they were terrible, and i think that the way the MAXX users were treated with regards to NT support was pretty terrible. But the radeon 7500/8500 drivers are great, and ive had absolutly 0 problems with them.
You can add the Radeon 64MB DDR ViVo to that list as well [of cards who's drivers work fine I mean].
Quote:
We need to get rid of this stupid idea that radeon drivers are crap, cos they are not.

When youve used a 7500/8500, come back and tell me they are terrible, then ill beleve you. laugh
Exactly - if I had £1 for every time I'd read about someone asking for advice on which Dets to use because they were having trouble with xx.xx then I'd already have more than enough for the 9700 when it comes out. laugh

Ok, in fairness, there are plenty of people who are using Nvidiia based cards who are happy with them, but I think I'll stick with ATI because they are better value for money, & I can't honestly see a valid [for me] reason to change brands. [though I should note that my current card is the 1st ATI 1 I've had, previous card was a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI]

AlecStaar I hate tell this but ATI lookout: Here comes nVidia GF5 or what name it going get.

For now ATI has upper hand for short time.

Oh I have been a round Alec to much beta testing (hardware and software) is enogh to drive one person nuts plus keep an eye on 3 forums and run my PVR web site hehehe.

The link are under my message don't you see them?.

the 8500 was the competition for the G4's.

So now we know Nvidia will be coming out with a new card to match this one, same thing u see every year (the NV30 i beleive and Maxtor has word of a 256mb card , so i would wait till cards hit 256mb before buying my next card))

ATI ontop, then nvidia, then ATI, then NIvidia!

it will always be a see-saw up and down.

just a matter of being able to get the good cards in between

i bought a 4600 cause the 128mb 8500 were crap in comparison on alot of games, and i was a PURE ATI guy before that, but i did my research., last card i had was teh all in wonder 128 RAGE PRO card 32mb one.

ATi has the same problem AMD has. They have to overcome Years of mediocre products, so they have to fight twice as hard to get the same customers.

IMO they released this card too close the the NV30.

If they could have pulled it off 3 months ago that would have been a true Geforce killer.

It will take at least 2 good leading edge Video Cards in a row to get my attention. Till then, I wish them the best

IM not gonna bother with this card any more frown

Im hoping the nv30 will have 100% free FSAA so laugh

Why dont they just make a card that has a seperate off chip.....chip, dedicated to just doing FSAA!

Then you could have FSAA totally free.

Well, as of yet the only company being able to push new technology by a good amount is nVidia. ATI's truform is supported almost nowhere. Serious Sam 1 (by patch) & 2 were one of the few titles. However, I won´t buy the coming generation of videocards, I´ll rather wait for their optimized versions. Like the GeForce 2 Ti was the optimized version of the original GeForce and the GeForce Ti 4600 too is only the optimised version of the GeForce 3. So, in fact we´re not really seeing GeForce 4th generation now, but rather 2nd generation.

FYI... from some reviews posted here a few days ago on reviews of the 9700, the starting point for their highest end card will be equal to that of Nvidia, about $399, with the low end around $130. (these are only estimates... ATI may well slash the prices to be really competitive, which means we all win!)

To all those that claim the ATI drivers are great, that may be true right now, but the main complaint I've always heard on ATI and drivers is that it takes them multiple releases to get them right, which is what keeps people from equating ATI with a good video card. While their hardware may be top of the line, if they have the same old driver problems, the card will be forgotten and left behind. It will be interesting to see if they can finally shake that with the 9700...

Nvidia on the other hand releases drivers that, for the most part, work very well out of the box and the revisions just add more value by increasing performance.

Yeah, and its not like those are officially released. Nvidia only stick 1 up on there site every few months.

Ive had a few probs with a couple of sets of nvidia drivers, but it was only with 2 of the most recent versions. Just consisting of dropping to desktop, and 1 blue screened the pc on shutdown. Doesnt occur with 99% of the drivers though, and never with the official ones.

Quote:

ATi has the same problem AMD has. They have to overcome Years of mediocre products, so they have to fight twice as hard to get the same customers.

IMO they released this card too close the the NV30.
If they could have pulled it off 3 months ago that would have been a true Geforce killer.

It will take at least 2 good leading edge Video Cards in a row to get my attention. Till then, I wish them the best

Mediocore?

ALl-in wonder radeon 128mb card, even the 64mb
and now this (9700)

there is your 2 cards.

HECK!! ALL!! of the "all in wonder" cards

Nvidia just tried to release a "all in wonder" card a while back, and it got laughed at to the ground!

the rage fury maxx was a great card, for it's times, first 64mb card, just they did crap on NT support / 2k.

but at that time it was a "gamers" card, and gamers did not use NT or 2k.

i would always prefer ATI over Nividia, if your not a "gamer".

Although i did buy an g4 4600, cause i could not find an ATi all in wonder DV card 128mb around, and have bene getting more into games lately (dam u gta 3!! and spiderman) So ithought i would see what all this Nvidia hype is about, i now wish i had of waited for the NEW ati chip to come out.