Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr-Hipshot

Configure Xp to smooth on a 450..

Is there somekinda site that explains how to make Xp work good on a P2 450 with 64meg ram, or is that impossible?

The computer is only to be used in movie/mp3/www purpose...

This might kinda work,

ok go into Start --> Settings --> Control pannel --> System, then click on the Advanced tab, then the 'Virtual memmory, performance..etc' settings button. Then check the box that sais best performance! This might ipmrove performance quite a bit!

I have three machines. One is a Laptop running a K6-2+/450@400MHZ (old 66 bus) and 160MB ram and works great. I have a K6-III/450 with 160MB Ram desktop runs great. I also have a AMD 1700+ 1.44MHZ which rocks.

64MB of RAM is going to be the killer for you, go buy some RAM and get it up to 160MB and I assure you you will see a big difference. It will be acceptable speed.

AlecStaar: Its allready installed.

Websiteworld: I know better hardware is the key, and I am to get the gear more ram. The computer are for my brother I got a TB1000 that runs Xp perfect...

Then don't bother tweaking it until you get the memory. You'll just have to tweak it again to remove the memory tweaks you performed before you stuck the memory again.

IIRC, XP take's up around 80-90+mb default install with nothing else loaded. You can get that a couple of megabytes lower...mabye in the 60m area but any lower is not possibile....unless you really want to start hacking away. (not recommended)

2K/XP can run on lower MHZ processors but you need to throw ALOT of ram at 'em. I recommend 192MB at LEAST for optimal MINIMUM 2K/XP use. 256 is recommended for light gaming, work. 384 for more common gaming, work....but games are starting to require more. 512 is the recommended amount for the heavy PC professional/Video/Gamer.

You'll need more RAM, I assure you. I tried running Win XP on 96MB of RAM. It was horrible. OSes are usually RAM intensive not processor.

well, I can say that it isnt that bad, the divX movies dosent lag, and the os boots fast, but its feels much slower than my reglular (of course) ... but I am to get more ram. Dou ypu think 256 i enough ? My has that and that works great...

Alecstar i just have to say that your last name is 1 of the coolest names ever cool

Hmm, that show with Michael J. never saw it... was to young back then...

you name sounds polish or estonian wink ... no offence...

AlecStaar: That was no offence, just dint think it sounded to american wink ... but hell I cant know Im from sweden laugh ... my name isnt that good sounding to, Jockum Skoglund laugh

Quote:

You'll need more RAM, I assure you. I tried running Win XP on 96MB of RAM. It was horrible. OSes are usually RAM intensive not processor.
You think that's bad? @ 1 point, with my previous mobo, my PC suddenly decided it only had 24MB RAM, & all of a sudden my 500Mhz system [@ the time, 1.6Ghz now] seemed like a 486 DX33!!!

I'm running XP on my p2-400 (main rig) with 256 MB of RAM, and it is smooth as butter and benchmarks faster than 98lite (remember that?). Very important: BIOS tweaks, reg tweaks (TweakXP does most of them automatically).

I run XP on my Pentium II (originally a 400 but I upped the FSB to 124 and she now runs at 496) in only 128Mb RAM and it doesn't run all that bad. With all the stuff I'm running idle memory use is around about 130-140Mb out of a 310Mb memory pool (128Mb Physical + 192Mb Virtual). I'm currently having a few issue with kernel memory use (normally it's 20-30Mb but for some reason, it now idles at 40+ sending my memory use figures through the roof.).

Trying to run it on my folks 600Mhz Coppermine Celeron in only 64Mb RAM was a real test of patience but some of that may have been caused by the install being upgraded from Win2k and not clean. A clean install would probably have present different results.

The minimum requirements on the box...I believe...say that the minimum processor speed is 700mhz. I would suggest getting at least a 700mhz processor and a motherboard to fit the chipset of that processor. Also, I suggest that you buy at least 128mb of RAM. You can pick them up for pretty cheap off of eBay. That would be the best way to make Windows XP run faster.

Ive had it on a 300mhz and a 500mhz, the 500 is fine, but the 300 is kinda sluggish frown

Both K62s. frown