Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
OLEerror

BASIC vs. DYNAMIC DISKS.... talk to me!

Hey Alec. I posted some "Basic disk vs Dynamic disk" benches here too. I was hoping to receive some feedback on the whole "dynamic vs basic" debacle from some of the more knowledgeable members.

Also backup is very important too, because not all the Dynamic Volume have fault tolerant. (like Simple, Spanned and Striped)

and in my experience, you can't switch the dynamic disk to other computer like you did with basic disk.

i am using a dynamic disk striped software raid array for video editing the array consists of two 80 gig 7200 rpm maxtor ata133 ide drives on a promise ata 100 controller. I get 57 MB per sec reads and writes when i bench this array. It has been super fast for me and more than i need for the dv editing. I also put my page file on this drive which speeds up my system a lot.

Alec, thanks for the appreciation. I did spend the better part of a weekend benching Windows, but it was quite fun actually & I did learn a few things.

I had already posted my results on the StorageReview forums, but there were no takers (replies).

BTW, I am a member on your xp-erience forms too. Ron_Jeremy, of course smile