Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JP-

THG Revisited

Just saw this and thought...hmmmm frown

Authough it wasnt Tom that wrote this i thought it was pretty bad, THG seems to change its allegiance every few months. I remember not long ago when i would have been saying how he could almost have been getting paid my AMD. Now its the other way round and i think he must be on intels books smile

http://www.tomshardware.com/smoke/02q3/020704/index.html

What do you guys think of this?

Why do you believe THG has to have an allegiance? I remember when the Athlon was big news, it was such a welcome to have good competition against Intel, forceing prices down, and THG seemed as happy as the rest of us about that, not that they were AMD fans. That's what was best about AMD. Now they are just losing ground fast, and unfortunately it will lead to higher prices again.

Personally, I stayed away from AMD because for the longest period only VIA was there to support them, and they just weren't reliable enough. They have both matured greatly now though, but it's too little too late I'm afraid. I think AMD will fade a bit for the next few years until they come up with something to really go after Intel with, if they do.

I can understand why the article seems harsh to the AMD fans, but it is truthful. The fan mentality is that he feels cooler or smarter than the mainstream because he doesn't buy into the huge corp's product, and goes for the underdogs product. And in AMD's case, their product was actually better in many ways for a while, which excited fans at first, but then made them selfish to keep AMD for themselves, because if everybody bought AMD, the fans wouldn't feel better than everyone else anymore!

This is just the general product fan psychology that we have seen here. You can see it with many products.

I especially agree with where the article stated "You write a piece about AMD, and there's be a deluge of traffic and comment."

Actually, I felt that he was a big pimp of AMD stuff for quite a while. The reason why I felt this way was because even if a particular AMD CPU or AMD-supporting mobo performed poorly, he would find some way to put a Pro-AMD spin on it. However, this writer seems to be more of a fan of Intel products rather than AMD. I noticed this with a few of his articles (he's a new guy isn't he, like within the last 9 months or so?) he picks apart AMD's flaws and shows that Intel's stuff is actually quite good. I am glad that they now have someone to balance out their site a bit, and I have been checking their articles moreso now.

Agreed. A few months back, they tried to put a pro point up for the AMD platform even if the P4 kicked the sh*t out of it.

THG is too pro-Intel. Rather than taking a more "down the middle" approach to things, THG does one way: Their Way. It's totally bias and leaves the reader feeling that they were being controlled in to making only one choice.

AMD has always been what I use, why? I just like the great price slashes and have found it to perform better than Intel in more ways than one, except for major multimedia and graphical development.

HE hit it on the head. AMD fans are like Apples. Getting almost cult like. Just like the linux community.

If everyone joined thier cause then they would find something else to be affiliated with

Quote:

THG is too pro-Intel.

Umm, I don't know which THG you have been reading for the last several years, but with Tom's constant referrals to "Chipzilla" (that's how he likes to refer to Intel) as not being fast enough when comparing the first XP+ models to the Williamettes, and whenever the Intel models were fast enough they instantly became "cost prohibitive" or some such. So honestly, I like having the new guy to balance this out, but I expect this article to drive the AMD lunatics nuts (maybe Tom himself?).

it is so funny how this debate gets so opinionated when really it is 2 simple facts.

Intel makes a higher quality product and they want more money for it

AMD is cheap and that is what they have going for them

Quote:

Umm, I don't know which THG you have been reading for the last several years, but with Tom's constant referrals to "Chipzilla" (that's how he likes to refer to Intel) as not being fast enough when comparing the first XP+ models to the Williamettes, and whenever the Intel models were fast enough they instantly became "cost prohibitive" or some such. So honestly, I like having the new guy to balance this out, but I expect this article to drive the AMD lunatics nuts (maybe Tom himself?).

laugh

The man who wrote the article has been known to write worse ones than this. He is a loose cannon. smile

Tom's used to be a good read, but I hardly ever hit that site up anymore since the writing has gone down a bit. For AMD being limited to Via chipsets for high-performance need to consider nVidia's nForce. I am a big proponent of the nForce for anyone that wants speed and stability. It is the fastest non-Via platform currently available as of this posting. I really haven't had problems with Via, but I feel the nForce offers a lot more in cost, performance and integration.

Thus is AMD's achilles heel.

No ONE chipset that when all else fail, that one still stands.

Sapiens your so funny laugh Your like a religious zealot yourself, just for the other side smile

(please dont hit me :()

I'm a capitalist at heart . I use whatever serves me best at the time.

Brand loyalty is dead.

Shame that i totally agree with you frown

Quote:

Brand loyalty is dead.

He's a techno-mercinary...

smile

While I don't like Tom's site that much anymore, the end of the article was excellent.

Quote:
Intel or AMD - who cares?! Nvidia or ATI - who cares?! Windows or Linux - who cares?! It's about the experience. The technology. It's the journey, not the destination. There is no end point. No perfect buy. No perfect company. No perfect chip. Stop looking for your identity in a piece of hardware!

That is one of the best thing's I've heard in a long time.